Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
AHS Announcements
Staff Announcement

A Mysterious Message!
Read Yours!

Now Up to the Plate!
Read More!

A new skin has been added in honor of the season! Also, Brackenridge Manor has opened it's doors! The butler has some words of warning for you.

Cordially, Icarus
Main Storyline Information

Current Storyline Thread
Party at Brackenridge

Welcome, you are currently not logged in. Without being logged in you are limited to posting in Contact the Staff and the Advertising forum. You are welcome to read as much as you like, but when you are ready to join, go ahead and read the rules and create an account!

Create an Account!

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
To Tame a Wolf; Zank only
Topic Started: Jun 1 2015, 02:37 AM (2,435 Views)
Newlight
Member Avatar
Posting without a computer cord...
[ *  *  * ]
It was kind of funny when Misa thought about it. Here she was, waiting on a subway bench for Dain to walk up and sit next to her. Of course, it wasn't the same subway bench. That subway had been waaay over in the bad side of town. But the bench was placed in the same area relative to the station, and just to be sentimental, she was wearing the same outfit she had been wearing the night she met him. She could recognize all her garments by their distinctive textures, and she always put them back in the same spot. Dain would recognize it as a casual dark blue blouse and slightly worn jeans, sensible sneakers and a light jean jacket.

Misa was reading a book again, her fingers grazing over the pages just as they had been when she first heard him walking up that first day. Who would have thought? First she runs into some random guy in the subway who almost fought her over a bench, and now about a month and a half later she was sitting in practically the same place, waiting for the same boy to take him home and introduce him to her family.

Misa had never brought home a boy to introduce to her family before. Ever. Of course, Dain was the first boy she had ever dated. But still, it was rather special. From what Misa had heard, Ryou was incredibly excited to meet Dain. Ren had declined to comment, as Ryou put it. Misa wasn't surprised. Ren was tough to win over when it came to strangers, and she expected more than a little bit of trouble out of the tyke. He might even be protective or jealous. Who knows. She had never brought home a boy so she wouldn't know how Ren would react. She just knew how Ren reacted to Ryou's dates. And that didn't usually go so well...

But it would be fine! Misa was sure of it. Ren just had to get used to Dain as a packmember and he'd get used to him.
Edited by Newlight, Jun 1 2015, 02:37 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
It was just like the day he met her, something filled the air with electricity and fervor. Dain could feel it in his heels as soon as his feet hit the subway landing. It might not have been the same location but, given that this part of town was far less seedy, Dain couldn't have been happier. Somewhere Misa was waiting for him, their hands aching to entwine once again. It took him only a moment's glance to spot her, and when he had Dain felt his his heart melt instantly.

The last few weeks had been like heaven and had allowed him to get close enough to Misa to warrant a visit to her home. It was a task the young man was all too eager to accept. If taking one day out of his schedule would show her how serious his feelings were then there was no question that he'd do it. She had determined the time and date, told him where to meet her and left everything else to him. He had chosen his outfit, a dark blue button down shirt and a pair of black slacks. Around his neck hung a simple black tie that he had struggled with for an hour. Dain had even gone the extra inch and styles his unruly hair, or at least he had tried his best. After a few minutes of trying to comb it back, only to have it mostly unleash itself again, he had given up and left home.

He stood now, just behind the bench and on the precipice of excitement. Her fingers danced along the page of her book, she was dressed so familiarly Dain could swear it was déja vu. He had learned a bit about trying to pick up scents and, if any of his practice had paid off, he could pick hers out almost immediately. His girlfriend, his werewolf mate and the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Within her held all of Dain's happiness.

The tall teen took a breath and bent over the back of the bench so that his head was just beside and behind Misa's. He took one hand and managed to cover both her eyes before leaning in close enough to whisper,"You're on my bench."

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Of course, Misa could smell and hear Dain coming long before he was close enough to touch her. But she had remained quiet, smiling down at her book for no real reason. His scent just made her so happy. The sound of his heavy footsteps made her want to giggle with excitement.

But though Misa had heard Dain moving behind her, she hadn't realized he was moving his arm around to touch her, and hadn't been expecting him to. Touch was another sense that she depended on more heavily than others, so it was always a surprise when someone touched her without warning. It wasn't unwelcome, just surprising. Misa jumped suddenly, not a very common reaction from her as her advanced senses made it very hard to catch her by surprise. Part of the reason she was always so relaxed was because she was always keenly aware of everything happening around her.

Quote:

"You're on my bench."

Misa laughed brightly and touched the hand he held over her eyes. "I can still see you, silly," she told him. It was always so refreshing that Dain never worried about offending Misa on account of her blindness. It could make people so uncomfortable, but Dain understood that Misa was just like anyone else, and that she wouldn't be offended if no offense was meant.

Misa leaned back and turned to where Dain's face was. She cupped his cheek in her hand and kissed him softly in greeting.

"My bench now. But maybe I'll share."

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Misa's voice was a melodic tune Dain awoke everyday wanting to hear. Her words touched a spot in him no song by any band could reach. The way most people answered that music was their one big love in life, Dain swore with unbridled conviction that Misa was his. At this point, his only regret was not being my musically talented enough to sing to the stars of his affection and admiration.

"One of these days I'm gonna get ya and you won't see it comin' at all." He reveled in the kiss she laid upon him and paid her one of his own upon the soft of her cheek. "Just because you've caught me doesn't mean I can't keep ya on your toes." He stood back up and rounded the bench.

"Well I'd hate to intrude but I'm afraid that with a girl as gorgeous as you, I simply must insist I take this seat." Dain moved himself into the seat next to her and leaned until he felt her arm brush his. "I hope I didn't keep ya waiting too long? I had to stop at the store to pick something up along the way."

Dain reached into his pants pocket and retrieved a long, skinny box covered in blue velvet and lined with gold hinges. He gently took the book Misa held, closed it and placed it beside her. "Uh, I wanted to-well mark the occasion of meeting your family with a little gift." Dain's throat caught for a moment but he cleared it away quickly. "I actually got it when you told me we were gonna go meet them. I've been saving up too so I didn't need any help from the old man." Dain could feel his forehead heating up as he spoke, but he didn't know why. They spoke all the time and he hadn't had any issue since their first date. "So I got you this and I just hope ya like it."

Dain's hands stretched out and he placed the box on her palms. With a flick of his fingers it opened to reveal a gold necklace with a running wolf charm centered on it. "I wasn't sure if silver would be an issue or not, so I played it safe with gold. Don't wanna be the idiot who got his girlfriend a gift that hurts her." He smiled and shrugged his shoulders, an attempt to hide his anxiety.

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"One of these days I'm gonna get ya and you won't see it comin' at all Just because you've caught me doesn't mean I can't keep ya on your toes."

Misa laughed and grinned in his direction. "That'll be the day," she said. She didn't mind sounding over-confidant. She could hear and smell even better than other werewolves. She highly doubted he would find a way to sneak up on her. Well, unless she was asleep, but that would be cheating.

Quote:

Well I'd hate to intrude but I'm afraid that with a girl as gorgeous as you, I simply must insist I take this seat. I hope I didn't keep ya waiting too long? I had to stop at the store to pick something up along the way."

When Misa felt his arm against hers, she moved herself against him until he would be forced to put his arm around her, lest she squish it against his side. If he still didn't get the message, she'd take his arm by the wrist and move under it for him. She snuggled against him comfortably, reveling in the ease of her mate's touch. "I was here a bit, but I came early to read," Misa said.

Quote:

"Uh, I wanted to-well mark the occasion of meeting your family with a little gift. I actually got it when you told me we were gonna go meet them. I've been saving up too so I didn't need any help from the old man."

Misa felt him take the book from her and set it down. She tilted her head curiously. A gift? What kind? She resisted the urge to reach out and feel the box, her own way of 'looking' at it. She could hear the shape of it from the echos coming off of it, but she couldn't think of what it might be based on that. Misa grinned, anticipation welling inside of her. Dain was so thoughtful. What a sentimental gift. It was sweet for boyfriends to spoil their girlfriends with 'just because' gifts, but this was especially sweet because it was for a significant reason. And because the reason wasn't one that would typically warrant a gift, it made the occasion seem even more special. And the fact that he had saved up his own money instead of using his father's, especially knowing how Dain felt about his father's money, that gave the gesture a whole new level of depth.

Quote:

"So I got you this and I just hope ya like it."

Misa's hands explored the fine texture of the velvet before Dain flicked it open. The scent of gold swam up through the air to her. She blinked in surprise and traced her hands over the chain. It so fine that it was almost soft, easy on her sensitive skin. Her fingers settled on the charm, rubbing over it and observing the shape. It was a flat charm that she could pinch between her fingers, and when she did she recognized the shape as a running wolf.

He payed for this himself? Misa could smell the purity of it, and she didn't know a lot about gold but she knew that meant it probably had a high karat rating.

Quote:

"I wasn't sure if silver would be an issue or not, so I played it safe with gold. Don't wanna be the idiot who got his girlfriend a gift that hurts her."

Slowly, Misa grinned. This was the first time anyone had bought her expensive jewelry. Misa's love wasn't the kind that was bought, and Dain's wasn't the kind that could only be shown through money. And bearing that, this gift meant so much more to the two of them than it could have to anyone else. This necklace was so special to Misa. When she wore it, she'd feel like she was officially marking herself as his. Like a prelude to the mating mark. A promise ring before an engagement one.

"I love it, Dain. I don't know what to say." Misa placed it back in his hands and then reached up to hold her hair up off of her neck, obviously inviting him to put it on her. "Thank you, Dain. This is so incredibly thoughtful. I love it, and I'm sure it's beautiful."

When he placed it on her she would rest her fingers over the charm, smiling at the way it felt against her skin. "And for the record...it's wise of you to avoid silver. It burns us, and our healing factor is ineffective. Wounds inflicted with silver heal at the rate it would for a regular human. Gold hurts vampires, but not werewolves." Misa reached up and wrapped her arms around Dain's neck. She pulled him down to him gently and kissed him.

But what was supposed to be a gentle kiss in thanks had more passion to it than she had anticipated, and before she knew it they were pulling at each other and kissing back. There they were, practically making out on a subway bench, and they didn't care if anyone noticed. Well, at least Misa didn't. And she was the one who could hear anything muttered about them.

Soon Misa heard the train approaching, and before she knew it the train was rushing past them. She pulled away, and laughed at herself, the sound of it lost in the roar of the train. She had been so focused on him that she had completely forgotten where they were.

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
There was a small hot breath that escaped Dain when Misa presented her neck. He had never seen it as bare as in that moment, so small and delicate with skin like a winter morning. A dry scratch at the back of his throat forced him to swallow and refocus his attention. She sat still and composed, Dain could feel his heart beating as he moved his hands around her and sat the necklace pendent upon her chest. His fingers fumbled with the ends as his eyes went from the pendent to her blouse. Misa left much to the imagination, but Dain had quite the imagination.

"Happy to hear that, it looks great on you Misa. But I'll be damned if gold can't shine nearly as bright as you." He wore a proud smile of satisfaction. Dain had never bought a gift like jewelry for a girl before, so to see it go on as well as it had made it all worth every penny and minute of hard work. The grin on her face, the joy in her voice and the way she radiated when she was happy all drove Dain to do what he could to keep her that way.

Before he knew it, their lips were upon one another once more. It was his favorite part of having a girlfriend, kissing, especially with Misa. Dain found himself lost in their moment of romance. He could feel her drawing him back, building his passion with enticing movement. He could feel a low rumble in his chest as he worked to keep their connection, the feeling of her arms around his neck feeding him on. There wasn't anything outside of the two of them, no onlookers, no noise, no smell. Nothing but the quickening pace of their heartbeats and the puffs of air both let out as they struggled to keep from drowning within one another.

Then she broke away from him, Dain felt like he had barely made it to the surface of the ocean. His lungs felt like they'd been worked and his body had gone from tense to relaxed too many times to count. He felt as if his heart had been blown clean through his back, a shotgun blast of desire and emotion that his body was too shocked to immediately recover from. His ears rang with noise and he couldn't hear himself think, let alone make out what exactly Misa was laughing at. A quick glance around made him remember what they were doing and where they were exactly.

Had they missed their train? Dain didn't care. How long would it be before the next train? Not long enough. Were people watching them? Did he care at all? None of the questions he was asking himself mattered. Misa was there with him, they had shared their first moment of physical longing and it had been a bigger adrenaline rush than a life and death battle.

Dain joined Misa in her laughter, having fallen under the same spell she had. It was wonderful to become so engrossed in one person that the world around you could die out and you pay it no mind. This was it.

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The train came to a nice stop, and a few people started heading over to it. Misa took a breath, recovering from her laughter. She grinned up in Dain's direction, her eyes gazing just over his head. It was then that it occurred to her that she had yet to actually explore the shape of his face. Once Misa's hands had ran over someone's facial features, her concept of their image was permanently logged in her memory. She knew that it was a weird thing to do, running you hands over someone's face and all. So she usually didn't, not to anyone outside of her pack and immediate family anyway. Her image of people always had to do with their scents and their heartbeats and the general shapes of their bodies. Now that her pack was gone there were only two people, Ren and Ryou, whose faces she mentally "saw" clearly.

Sometime soon, she'd like Dain to be the third.

"Come on, let's hurry," said Misa, standing and tugging on Dain's hand. It was their train that had just arrived. Misa had arranged their meeting time so that the two of them wouldn't have to wait too long, and even if Dain had gotten held back picking up the necklace, he had still actually arrived just soon enough to catch it.

Not too many people were taking the train this time of day, so there were enough seats open for Misa and Dain to sit. Misa sat at Dain's right and relaxed in her seat. She loved to feel the speed of the train. The ride would take them about thirty to forty minutes, but Misa had already explained that to him. Her hand rested in his, absentmindedly rubbing her thumb over the top of his hand.

"Ryou's excited to meet you," Misa told him, speaking a little more softly now that they had to be courteous of the other passengers. "She nearly went crazy trying to think of what to make for your first dinner with us. I think she settled on spaghetti. I hope you like that."

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
After that brief display of affection, Dain was all too willing to settle for a more reserved setting for romance. The cars were hardly full but passengers scattered randomly made it hard to do anything more than hold hands. Misa's hands were worth their weight in gold though and it felt more like an extension of his own body than it was the poor girl's limb. It was the nest in which his hands weren't fists and could be rested.

"Oh that'll be pretty cool then won't it?" He took his free hand and triumphantly shot up his thumb! "Then it's kind of like we're having the same sort of meal we had on our first date huh? I mean, that manicotti we had was great but I'll take a plate of spaghetti any day." His stomach jumped at the mention of a meal. Dain had decided that he'd do well to save his appetite for their planned meal. Nothing more rude than to show up with no desire to eat food that was prepared specifically for you.

"I'm sure it's gonna go great, I mean you've told me so much I feel like I practically know them." Dain shrugged his shoulders,"But if you had any words of wisdom, any bits of advice, I'd be more than willin' to hear them, Misa." It'd be a bold face lie if Dain said he were completely calm. It was difficult to not worry about something you want more than everything. Confidence and the girl's smiling face would be what would see him through it all. "Is there anything I shouldn't say or talk about? I hate it when that happens and I don't end up hearin' about it until well after."

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Wisdom or advice, huh? Misa thought over it for a little while. Misa was so accepting of everyone that she rarely considered what someone would need to know to make a good impression on her family. They were as accepting as she was, especially Ryou. And for many, many reasons. For one, Ryou very suddenly went from a single woman in the city to a single mother raising two wolfie kids in the middle of nowhere. You had to be an accepting person when you willingly accept a responsibility like that when it hits you without warning.

"It may sound cliche, but just be yourself. Don't think you have to impress them or win them over. My family is very, very accepting. Besides, children can be very perceptive. If you try to hard to impress Ren, he'll see through it and he won't trust you. Just let him see who you really are." Misa nodded and smiled thinking of her family. Her free hand absentmindedly reached up and rubbed the golden wolf charm between her fingers. "I guess I really should tell you, though...Ren is very protective of me and Ryou. He's got a lot of my father in him. And I mean a lot. So don't be hurt if he doesn't like you right away. He'll get used to you once he learns your not a threat and there's no need to be jealous or anything like that." Misa thought for a moment, then she giggled. "I'll tell you what, though. If he thinks you're interested in whatever poor creature he's dug out of the woods, that'll really help your chances."

Misa squeezed Dain's hand. She could imagine how anxious he was. She would be nervous out of her mind before meeting his family. But then again, at least from what he had told her, Misa's family was a lot easier to win over than Dain's was. "Let's see...things you shouldn't say? Um...I guess I never really think about that stuff since I just know not to say it." She giggled a little then thought to herself. "Well...you know we don't have a lot of money, and Ryou's a little worried about that. She...recognized your surname." Misa shrugged. She knew how it bothered Dain to be tied to all that money. "So she's worried she'll embarrass me or something if the house isn't spotless or classy or whatever. So be careful not to call the place 'quaint' or 'simple.' I know that's how I describe it, but Ryou can be a little sensitive, and she'd probably take that as a roundabout way of calling it small." Misa shrugged. She rubbed the back of her neck. "Eh...Ryou takes a lot personally now that I think about it. Definitely compliment the food if you like it, and be sure to thank her. Or she'll think you didn't like it. She's also a real girl-power person so no sexist jokes, not that you'd make them but..."

Misa trailed off. Her hand lingered at the back of her neck. She took a deep breath and sighed. "I don't Dain. I'm trying to think of stuff, but it all just seems like stuff you wouldn't do anyway." Misa chuckled at herself and shook her head. "Just relax. Be yourself. Think of my family as part of me. You didn't need any tips to win me over. I like you for you."

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
"Man....you really know how to lay it on thick, don't ya?" Dain had a smirk and chuckle as he focused on her eyes. "You've got to be the sweetest, most wonderful gal out here Misa." He let go of her hand and moved his arm around her. He carefully scooted her closer to him and pressed his head lightly into her's. "I'll go ahead and see how they like me the way you do, and I'll be sure not to say anything dumb."

"It's just a pain I couldn't get to know Ryou before she realized the Serlo thing. I hate it being as troublesome as it is." And troublesome had it become. Dain had yet to mention the letters he had received the last few months, inquiries into when he planned on returning home. The boy hoped that Misa's family would accept him, for it seemed like his own might soon disown him. He made no mention of it to his girlfriend though. He had not decided when he would go, but he knew when he did that she would be with him.

"I dunno how I do with kids yet. I guess it's more a question of how kids do with me." Dain scratched his head and pulled Misa closer. "I've got my brothers and sister who are all older than me, so it's not like I can't relate. But I'm not sure if all the cool stuff I enjoy doing is still 'cool' with kids as small as him. But if he's out findin' critters then I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about in no time."

Dain remembered why he was doing all of this, trying so hard for something for what felt like the first time. For the girl who now sat cuddled into his side, the one with eyes like pearls and a heart of gold. It no longer mattered what anyone else felt or thought of him as long as she continued to choose him day after day. "Thanks again for bein' my girlfriend, Misa."

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"Man....you really know how to lay it on thick, don't ya? You've got to be the sweetest, most wonderful gal out here Misa."

Misa blushed a little and smiled in Dain's direction. It was true, Misa fell for Dain simply because he was real with her. He showed her his true self, and she came to adore it. Shouldn't her family, who was so much like her, be the same?

Quote:

"It's just a pain I couldn't get to know Ryou before she realized the Serlo thing. I hate it being as troublesome as it is."

Misa's smile grew. She wasn't worried about Dain and Ryou. Not one little bit. "You'll just have to prove her wrong, then."

Quote:

"I dunno how I do with kids yet. I guess it's more a question of how kids do with me. I've got my brothers and sister who are all older than me, so it's not like I can't relate. But I'm not sure if all the cool stuff I enjoy doing is still 'cool' with kids as small as him. But if he's out findin' critters then I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about in no time."

Misa decided to just chuckle and nod at that. If it was all about how Ren reacted to Dain, then Misa couldn't promise that it would go over too well. But she had warned Dain, so he would be ready. At least they could talk about bugs and snakes and stuff.

Quote:

"Thanks again for bein' my girlfriend, Misa."

Misa smiled and rested her head against Dain's side. She closed her eyes and felt the train moving beneath them, above them, all around them. The echo of the tunnel surrounded them. Misa felt so safe with him, tucked warm under his arm. He was like a pillar of reassurance. No matter what happened, she'd always have him there.

"Thanks for being my mate, Dain."

After the subway ride, the couple would have to take a taxi out to where Misa and her family lived. They lived far out in the woods, quite intentionally secluded. The driver took many confusing turns at, surprisingly, Misa's direction. They were so far out that his GPS kept losing signal. It was quite a wonder why anyone would ever want to live so deeply in the middle of nowhere. Unless, of course, they didn't want to be found.

The driver dropped them off on the side of the road next to a mail box. The *only* mailbox for quite a few miles. Beside it was a very steep driveway winding its way up through the woods. The end was out of sight. Misa waved at the driver as he drove off, and waiting until he was completely out of sight to take a step. Well, out of sight for Dain. For Misa, she waited until she could hear that he was too far to see anything.

And with that, she took Dain's hand and started leading him to the opposite side of the street. No, not the side with the mailbox and the steep driveway. She was leading him across it to the treeline.

"It's a bit of a hike, but I never have cabs take me directly to the house." Perhaps Misa was being a bit paranoid, but she liked to take the extra precaution. Her old den home didn't even have a driveway. There was no way to reach it by car whatsoever, and the Red Hoods still found them. She felt nervous enough having herself and Ren in any legal database with their address. Everytime a letter came to this address in the mail, she shuddered. Misa didn't know how the Red Hoods got their information, so the fewer sources she provided them, the better. If they grilled every cab driver in this town, not a single one of them could give them the right address.

On the bright side, once they pushed through a lot of the brush there would be a dirt trail. It was quite romantic, actually. A nice stroll through a nature trail. It was a shame that it was uphill, though.

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Misa had quietly noted that their destination was a bit out of the way. Dain remembered shaking his head and stopping her explanation abruptly to assure her that no amount of distance would keep him from meeting her family. He couldn't recall if he had said something smooth and cool, but he was almost positive he had. Then he probably let out a loud, boisterous laugh and kissed Misa all triumphant like. He'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that she was impressed and happy, probably thought that he was the best boyfriend there ever could be.

Dain trudged along, silent and smiling, in shoes unfit for hiking. The air was fresh but the brush was plenty and it fought Dain to no end. His hair had caught arms and low hanging branches a few times, his shirt had come untucked and he almost laughed at how unprepared he was. Misa seemed so peacefully unaffected by their surroundings. Upon further inspection Dain could swear there wasn't a single stray hair, or scuff mark on her. For a second, the teen recalled the first trip to his Master's dojo. Though even that had felt less out of the way than this trip, perhaps it was just the lack of wisdom on Dain's part. If only he'd have kept his mouth shut and asked whereabouts their journey would take them. Maybe he would have went with boots instead.

When they came upon the dirt trail he heaved a sigh of relief, uphill or not, the large boy was glad to be out in a clearing again. He stopped to take a look around, despite the bit of trouble it was a beautiful sight and he could hear nothing but the sounds of nature. In all of it's quiet complexity, there was an air of tranquility. "It's really nice out here, Misa. I'd imagine that you probably know the area pretty well yeah?" He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly,"Maybe if there were a lake or stream nearby we could make a trip out for a picnic or somethin' one day?" He had no idea how long the trip ahead would be, he was content to follow her, but if they couldn't hold hands while they hiked, they could at least chat.

"Growing up, did you ever camp out around here very much? I grew up in the city mostly and didn't really get to see much of the outdoors until I went to my Master's. Always wished for different though."

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"It's really nice out here, Misa. I'd imagine that you probably know the area pretty well yeah? Maybe if there were a lake or stream nearby we could make a trip out for a picnic or somethin' one day?"

Yeah, Misa did know the area pretty well. Actually, she had just about all of it completely memorized. It was why she was so easily able to navigate the terrain. Not only could she hear the echos coming off everything, but she already knew what to expect when she listened. This was her home, and she had spent too much time exploring it in both forms to have any trouble finding her way.

Misa reached out and took Dain's hand. The dirt trail was wide enough so that they could walk along beside each other. She smiled to herself. This was starting to seem very romantic.

"I think that would be a great idea," Misa told him. "There's a little stream a few miles from the house. It's lovely. Ren and I go there for water when we shift." It was a far trod on foot in human form, but for the speed werewolves could run in their canine forms, it wasn't really that great a distance. Luckily, she and Ren had taken so many full moon runs down to the stream from the yard that they were starting to beat down a path. It wouldn't be as easy as this path, but hopefully there wouldn't be as much foliage.

Quote:

"Growing up, did you ever camp out around here very much? I grew up in the city mostly and didn't really get to see much of the outdoors until I went to my Master's. Always wished for different though."

Misa smiled softly. "We've only had this place for three years. Ryou was living in the city when she...inherited us. She uprooted her entire life to get us a place where we could be safe and free to use our wolf forms." It had been a difficult transition for Ryou, but she never let on. She put the pups first, working her ass off to make their new lives as easy to adjust to as possible in the midst of their grief. At the time, Misa had leaned on her godmother so much that she seldom thought to acknowledge how difficult everything was on her too. But looking back, she now realized just how hard it all was, and she appreciated her so much for it.

"My homeland was even more secluded than this. We were deep, deep in the woods, in a mountainous area." Ryou's home already seemed to be quite out of the way, and she only needed to hide two werewolves. Imagine how far out a pack had to go to hide thirty plus. "I guess I never really 'camped' in the traditional sense. Like we never went out with tents and supplies or anything. But a lot of times we go out running in wolf form in a small group, sometimes as a pack. And we'd be out all night and end up sleeping in the woods." Misa was quiet for a moment, letting the warmth of the memory ease upon her. As painful as it was to lose her family, she clung to those happy times. She couldn't ignore them to protect herself. The happiness was worth the pain.

"Ren's not an experienced shifter. He's so young and so little. He never really has the energy to shift back in the same night. So usually when we go out in wolf form we end up sleeping in the woods. No tents or campfires or anything. We just find a nice spot and snuggle up there." Misa looked up in Dain's direction. "Perhaps we should try it one night, since neither of us have done it. The two of us could come out here and try regular camping. Ryou wouldn't mind."

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Dain often found himself in a bit of a trance whenever Misa spoke of her adventures and times spent in her wolf form. The look about her whenever she reminisced on those memories made it so he never hesitated to ask her about certain aspects of wolf life. There was a level of freedom only her and other wolves had experienced, one the young man often day dreamed about. He had yet to see Misa's wolf, though she spoke of it often and they had spent a few months together. There were so many questions he had yet to ask about all the mysteries behind being a werewolf. Would Misa's wolf attack him if she shifted and he was around? Was she planning on ever letting him see her wolf or was the risk so high she didn't dare ask? If Misa was the wolf, and the wolf was Misa, then they were both the most important parts of Dain's life. As such, he couldn't help the desire to see the other part of his girlfriend she had kept him from.

"Whenever you talk about the stuff you used to do, or where you used to live, it sounds so cool Misa. I can't even imagine what it must be like to run around here as fast as you can, doing whatever and going wherever you can." As they continued walking along the trail Dain pulled her closer to his side, their arms brushing upon one another with ever step. "I know that people say all that stuff about the grass being greener and what not, but there is no part of me that doesn't think being a werewolf is anything but wonderful."

Dain's ears perked up at the sound of snuggling with the dark haired young lady. He imagined the two of them keeping one another company and warm, all alone out in the middle of nowhere. There was a lump in his throat that he was quick to swallow, silently he begged his hands to keep from clamming up. Misa had suggested an intimate night, just the two of them, alone and with no one to snoop or pester them. Just the two of them, out at night, probably sleeping relatively close to each other.

"Yeah!!" Dain's voice scratched like a record,"I-uh I mean, yeah." He took a breath and felt invigorated suddenly,"That sounds like it would be fun to do. Maybe you could show me or tell me about some of the stuff you used to do when ya lived out here." His feet stopped and he gave her a sideways glance. "Maybe we could look around and pick out our own special little spot, ya know?"

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"Whenever you talk about the stuff you used to do, or where you used to live, it sounds so cool Misa. I can't even imagine what it must be like to run around here as fast as you can, doing whatever and going wherever you can. I know that people say all that stuff about the grass being greener and what not, but there is no part of me that doesn't think being a werewolf is anything but wonderful."

For a werewolf, hearing someone talk as though they envied your life as wolf was always something to be wary about. Non-weres didn't always understand how grueling the process of adjusting to a werewolf life was. It's not something that they wished on anyone. Some people did willingly inflict themselves with Lycanthrope and learned to adjust overtime. But it was always difficult to get used to. For most, it was absolute hell.

Misa considered briefly what it might be like to have Dain changed. If that happened, they would be considered a more legitimate mated pair in the eyes of other wolves, and it would make a few things easier. Like the worry about changing, for example. Misa wasn't brave enough to shift in front of Dain. She didn't know if the wolf would attack him. The wolf didn't see him as food with their union the way it was, but still. Things could be unpredictable, and she didn't want to risk it. If Dain was a wolf, that wouldn't even be a problem. But Misa could never ask him to make such a huge change for her. She couldn't wish such torment on him.

"There are downsides to everything," Misa said. She didn't want him to have the impression that it was all sandy beaches. There were the Redhoods, the instincts, the cravings, constantly containing the wolf in the back of the mind, breaking every bone in your body for a agonizingly slow change, the constant need for physical touch, etc. Everything had its downsides. "I love being a werewolf, and I do think it's wonderful. But I've never known any other way."

And that was true. For Misa, being a werewolf was easy. But Misa had been born a werewolf, and that really did make all the difference. "If you take someone who was turned, they don't always think it's so wonderful. My friend Kei? He was a human, but he got attacked by a feral werewolf and was changed against his will. From what he's told me, it had been just terrible for him. He's only recently started to get a grip." Misa felt bad for Kei, but she was glad that he was finally able to embrace his new life. Even if it was still hard for him to feel totally comfortable there yet.

Of course, though Misa did want him to understand that it wasn't all wonderful, she couldn't let him believe that it was totally awful either. "Of course, it's not like that forever. Turned wolves can eventually be just as Lycan as anyone. You know how my father accidentally turned my mother? It was a nightmare for her, and she took quite a while to adjust. But once she learned to embrace it, she was just as much a wolf as any of us. And she loved her new life. It's not hopeless for turned wolves, it's just really, really hard."

Quote:

"Yeah!! I-uh I mean, yeah. That sounds like it would be fun to do. Maybe you could show me or tell me about some of the stuff you used to do when ya lived out here."

Misa giggled and nodded. He was so cute, stumbling over his words like that. Now, she had never actually lived out here in these woods. She had lived in another forest back on her old territory. But she was pretty sure he meant living in the wilderness in general. Then again, back in her old territory it wasn't too different than this. She had lived in a den house, and slept out in the woods frequently. Now, she and her brother lived in Ryou's house, and slept out in these woods frequently.

Quote:

Maybe we could look around and pick out our own special little spot, ya know?"

Misa grinned up in his direction. "That's a great idea," she said. "I actually might know just the place. You'd love it." She almost went to lead him, then she paused, remembering that Ren and Ryou were expecting them. "I'll show you after dinner. We'll take an evening walk."

Misa skipped ahead, tugging Dain along by his hand. "Trust me, if we're late Ren will go out looking for me. That might not make the best first impression."

They would be heading along that path for perhaps another two or three minutes. Before coming up on another hill. This one was much smaller, and once they reached the top Dain would see a small two-story house about a quarter of a mile away. The home was adorable, Painted black with tan shingles on the roof. It had a porch with newly-stained wood floors, two chairs on either side of the door, and a pile of firewood at the far right. A tall stone chimney climbed its way up the right side of the home, with a tiny shed built against the house jutting out beside it. Ivy crawled its way along the chimney, and closer inspection would reveal several missing shingles and scratches in the homes paint. There would be several loose boards as well. But the home was in incredible shape compared to how it was in the beginning. It had been a "fixer-upper" as they say, but Ryou and Misa had put a great amount of time into restoring it.

Dain and Misa would exit the treeline to the right of the home and keep walking straight until Misa felt the white stones crunching under her feet, indicating that they had reached the house's long, long driveway. They'd turn then and start heading up the driveway, heading straight for the house. The sun was just starting to set, and the sounds of crickets and other woodland creatures echoed out around them as they made their way there.

"What do you think?" Misa asked, smiling softly. It felt so nice to be home.

But before Dain had a chance to answer...

SMASH!!!

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Ah! Look out!"

It happened in a matter of seconds. A crazy flash of noise shattering the peace of the quiet afternoon. Dain and Misa had been almost halfway to the home when a window from the second floor broke as what appeared to be a person shot through the air screaming. Misa's hearing told her what was happening, but it was all so sudden that it was hard to make sense of it. But even so, she could hear that the human projectile was heading immediately in Dain's direction, and though a moment of thought would remind her that Dain could more than take the hit, instinct made her panic, wanting only to get him out of the way.

So she shoved herself into him, her small body taking an unreal amount of strength with it. Perhaps not super-strength, but definitely much more strength than a girl of Misa's size, weight, and age should ever be expected to possess. Lycanthrope had its perks indeed.

With any luck, it was enough force to at least off-balance Dain and knock him out of the way. Consequently, the man slammed into Misa. Her body was thrown back against the ground, but the momentum kept them sliding for a few yards. White dust kicked up all around them.

The dust settled after a few moments, revealing a deep trail in the ground as though someone had dragged a heavy tank through it. At the end of the track, Misa coughed at the dust and sat up, hissing a little at the sting. Her back had been scraped, obviously, but it was minor enough so that even as she sat up it was healing right off of her body.

The man, a skinny guy about 5'7'' with blonde hair shaved on the left side and long enough to cover his eye on the right side, was laying over top of Misa. His head rested on her belly until she sat up.

"Ow...what in the...IKI-san!" Misa grabbed the KO-ed man by the shoulders, lifting up and shaking him. "Oh no! Iki-san! Are you okay? Hey! Speak to me! Iki--"

STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!

"IKI! YOU SPINELESS CRETIN! WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GO?!"

...NOW the man was awake. He jolted back to life in Misa's arms, squealing in fear like a small animal. Before Misa had a chance to react, he was huddled behind her, clutching her shoulders and peering over them.

When Dain turned to look at the source of the noise, he'd see someone that...actually might resemble himself, only bigger believe it or not. She was huge, her arms and torso bursting with muscle, the veins throbbing into view with rage. When she stomped, the sound echoed around her. Stone on the driveway near her shook, and white clouds of dust kicked up at her feet. She was tall, standing just a bit taller than Dain. Her hair was a chestnut brown and pulled into a high ponytail. Her face and skin suggesting a Japanese-European mix. Her eyes a bright, blazing brown. Her lips were painted a light pink, her eyes adorned with red eyeshadow and black liner, her large breasts on full display even though cleavage was modestly covered. Her hips were wide and her large hands rested on them, her eyes narrowing to survey the yard. She wore a light red dress that stopped just above her ankles. And she when she yelled, out came a booming, male voice.

Lo and behold, the great Ryou had made her appearance.

"I'm sorry, baby! I didn't mean it!" Wailed Iki, still trembling behind Misa.

Ryou's eyes narrowed, pointing an accusing finger. "AHA!" And with that, she took off in a run, shooting past Dain. She closed the distance with incredible speed, her feet thumping at the ground below her. The man screamed like a child and tore himself from Misa, off-balancing her and making her fall back again.

Iki ran down the driveway screaming his apologies. He was fast, but Ryou was gaining. If he could just get to where he was running downhill it would be like outrunning a bear. Soooo close!

...And suddenly...

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!" Came a pint-sized battle cry from the air, and a small child jumped down from a high point in a tree, landing on the thin man's shoulders just before he got to the edge of the hill. They tumbled to the side and landed in the grass. Iki struggled desperately to escape, but the boy held him tightly, his little arms wrapped crushingly tight around Iki's ribs.

This was Ren, a small boy who was just barely over three feet tall. His hair was a short red brown, his big eyes a earthy green. Like Misa, he was Japanese in appearance. He wore red shorts and a white tank-top with red edges. His exposed right shoulder showed a terrible scar, appearing to be from a burn, leaving the skin gathered in a raised red blotch.

Ren squealed with delight as Iki struggled. "Yeah! Look, Mommy! I got him! Did you see me? Did you see me get him?"

Ryou let out a thunderous laugh. She had slowed to a walk. "I saw, sweetheart!" She called, her voice raised now to a higher pitch, one more feminine. "That's my good boy!"

"I'll hold him for you, kay? And you'll let him have it! She's gonna get you, Iki! You'll be sorry!" Ren giggled, bursting with joy and pride at his catch. He growled playfully at the struggling man, his green eyes suddenly looking...well, wolfish. They had changed. He grinned up at his godmother, the only mother he had ever known, with his teeth slightly sharper than a normal child. Little baby fangs. "Get him, Mama! Hurry before he gets away!"

By now, Misa would be back on her feet. Probably helped up by Dain. He would probably be worried and want to look her over, but he'd see that she was fine, just a bit dirty now. She had taken off her jean jacket on the walk up here, and it had flown from her arms when Iki-san flew into her. Her exposed arms had many scratches and scrapes, but as soon as Dain noticed them, he'd see them closing up right before his eyes. Light wounds like that had no defense against her healing factor. They healed right off her skin.

Her face was red with embarrassment. She shuffled her feet a little and cleared her throat. "Um...that's them."
Edited by Newlight, Jun 21 2015, 03:38 PM.

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Home, sweet home. It may not have been where Misa had been born, but it was a place she had spent part of her life and there were memories tied to it. That's all it took for Dain to fall in love with the place almost as soon as he had seen it. It was a quaint little place with an incredible amount of charm and appeal. The rustic aesthetic, seclusion and privacy, and peaceful quiet made Dain wish for a place just like it to call his own. Somewhere far from the worries of the world, a place where he and Misa could spend their days with little pups of their own running around free and unabashed. He imagined several wolfish boys and girls playing out in the yard and couldn't help the smile that fell upon him.

Before he was able to issue a remark to Misa's question, chaos ensued.

A sudden crash threw him off for all of half a second. Instinctively, he braced his legs and readied himself for whoever or whatever was flying towards him. The object was fast, but Dain was faster and his resilience never fell into question. The only thing that the boy had failed to account for was the young lady still at his side. It hadn't even occurred to him that Misa might try to protect him, not when it was his job to do everything in his power to keep her from harm. There was a hard push to his side and like an unsteady stack of books, Dain fell to the side and found himself face first in the dirt. No broken bones, no serious scrapes, not so much as a scratch to show for all the commotion. Just one very depleted ego.

After a moment, there came a set of thundering stomps. The confused boy remembered the first time he had seen Jurassic Park, and how the ground seemed to shake whenever the T-Rex was near. The thought brought on a nervous set of emotions and Dain struggled to swallow it down. He was helped suddenly with the appearance of some strange looking woman who reminded him of himself, but with longer hair and breasts. Rather large breasts, actually. The only thing bigger and more shocking than her chest was her voice, a noise that almost shook Dain down to his heels. If he was so taken aback by the woman, it was no wonder the man from before had chosen the window as an exit. It was probably the closest thing that wouldn't immediately result in death.

The two of them took off even faster than they had both arrived, leaving Misa and himself in a cloud of dust and uncertainty. He took his eyes off of the action long enough to help Misa up. As she rose and adjusted herself, Dain could see parts of her body healing as the seconds passed by. It was a familiar sight, as he'd seen it happen to himself almost daily, but this was the first time Misa's powers had every visually manifested themselves around him. Something about it all made the girl glow even brighter, despite all the dirt. She really was incredibly special.

His attention was grabbed again by the strangers struggling in the distance. It appeared as if a third party had entered the fray, and based on the noise and shouts, it was probably Misa's little brother. Dain couldn't figure out if they had maybe missed him on their way onto the property or if he had simply found his way around them without either of them knowing. Either way, he had managed to spring a successful trap. A feat that had certainly sealed the fate of the escaping man, one Dain did not envy.

"Well," Dain brushed himself off and shrugged his shoulders,"I've certainly seen less exciting people in my lifetime." He laughed gently and took her hand in his. "Shall we go make introductions or just wait for them to come back with their prey? I'd hate to end up makin' somebody as mad as that guy. I dunno if I'd make it outta here alive."

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Well, I've certainly seen less exciting people in my lifetime."

Misa sighed in relief and chuckled with him. Her blush didn't ease until after Dain had taken her hand. Okay, so her family was a little crazy and embarrassing sometimes, but Dain wouldn't be frightened off.

Quote:

"Shall we go make introductions or just wait for them to come back with their prey? I'd hate to end up makin' somebody as mad as that guy. I dunno if I'd make it outta here alive."

...Well, at least Misa could *hope* that Dain wouldn't be frightened off. Because as soon as the words left his mouth, the commotion over there silenced.

Ryou craned her neck to look over in Dain's direction. "What did he just call me? A...guy?" Had she even noticed that Dain had been over there before? And how did she even hear that?! It was if a radar had gone off inside her, like some alarm sounding a frantic warning: YOU'VE BEEN MIS-GENDERED. YOU'VE BEEN MIS-GENDERED. ALERT. ALERT. OFFENDER MUST BE DESTROYED.

The poor Iki had been getting shaken violently in Ryou's large hands before she stopped and turned. Now she carelessly discarded his limp form onto the ground and started heading over, an angry vein visibly throbbing on her temple. Little Ren grinned from ear to ear and snickered, following at his godmother's heels. He took such an ornery pleasure in watching her beat on people. It was like the childish "haha, they got in trou-ble~" sort of feeling, and it delighted him.

Meanwhile, with both Ren and Ryou focused on their new target, Iki scrambled off into the trees, grateful for his escape.

STOMP. STOMP. STOMP. STOMP.

"LISTEN HERE YOU HETERONORMATIVE IGNORAMUS! I AM NOT A GUY! YOU HEAR'N ME?! I AM A WOMAN AND I WILL BE RESPECTED!" She charged forward with the force of a rhino, a large beefy finger pointed accusingly at Dain's chest. Her strides were so wide that Ren had to run to keep up with her, even as she stomped forward with only a hastened walk.

"WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO MARCH ONTO MY PROPERTY AND TRY TO TELL ME WHO AND WHAT I AM?! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! MOVE OUT INTO THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE AND THE BIGOTS STILL COME AFTER YA! WHERE DID YOU EVEN COME FROM?! HUH?! I HAVE HALF A MIND TO TAKE THAT NARROW MIND OF YOURS AND STRETCH IT OUT!"

And just before she reached Dain, Ren gasped and yelled, "Onee-san! Onee-san's home!" having just then noticed Misa standing there. He raced past Ryou and launched himself into his sister's arms, who had been standing between Ryou and Dain and patting at the air with a bewildered expression, desperate to diffuse the situation. She heard Ren coming and opened her arms just in time, but he still off-balanced her and sent her stumbling back against Dain's chest with an "umf."

Ryou had kind of frozen, still glaring down at Dain with that insanely livid expression. Her eyes narrowed a little, taking in the image of her godchildren standing with this boy. And it was then that she realized...

"Oh! You must be Dain!" ...And her voice, which had previously been a deep, manly, booming roar, had gone back to a light and feminine tone. Her imposing posture slipped into a more welcoming and calm one as a grin broke across her face. She clasped her hands together excitedly and held them to the side of her face. What an adorable image those three were! If only she had her camera!
Edited by Newlight, Oct 13 2015, 07:17 PM.

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
'I'm gonna die here aren't I?!" It was the only thought in Dain's panicked mind. The oversized lady was stomping towards him with enough force to shake the earth beneath him. Every step shook Dain down to his bones and he could beads of cold sweat forming along the ridge of his forehead. The terror on his face reflected the piercing rage Ryou was firing at Dain. He went to open his mouth to try and explain but was met with incessant stuttering. There was no calming or reasoning with her now. Whatever form of misunderstanding had occurred was going to cost Dain at least his nice suit. After all, blood was nearly impossible to wash out.

Her voice boomed through him like a wrecking ball. Although Dain had received more than his fair share of ass kickings, nothing could've prepared him for the thunderous roar of Misa's godmother. She had called him a number of things he had never been called, some even left him scratching his head for an understanding of what it was she was talking about. Dain was lost and despite Misa's attempts for mercy, it looked like he'd be mauled at any moment.

Suddenly, out from the looming shadow of their godmother, came Ren. He dashed so quick it was hard to know whether he was launching a preemptive attack or trying to throw Dain's line-of-sight off long enough for Ryou to deliver some sort of sucker punch.

Then he felt Misa's body against his once more. How long had it been since he had held her? When was the last time he could remember taking her into his loving embrace? His arms instinctively went to wrap themselves around her, to make sure she was unharmed. However, when he glanced back towards Misa's godmother it was apparent where his hands should be at all times while on her property.

Just as the warrior woman had erupted into a fit of fury, she suddenly changed her tone once again. This time she was so friendly so suddenly that Dain still believed his life to be endangered. How could she stand there threatening him with that lance of a finger and then become a whole other person entirely?

"Hi? I'm Dain...ma'am. It's, uhh-it's nice to meet you?" He bowed his head and closed his eyes, hoping that she would make his death quick.

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"Hi? I'm Dain...ma'am. It's, uhh-it's nice to meet you?"

"It's nice to meet you too!" Ryou said excitedly, her eyes just *shining* at this young boy. What a handsome catch! She knew her little Misa would do well in the dating pool! She was too beautiful and perfect to have anything less than the best.

Being as massive as she was, Ryou had to step back a few feet before she bowed, lest her head bump into them. "I'm Ryou, Misa's godmother." She straightened herself. "And this is our little Ren!"

Ren giggled and nuzzled his face into the crook of Misa's neck. "Onee-san," he cooed. "You've been away for so long! I missed you!"

Misa giggled nervously and gave her tiny brother a tight hug. She still picked Ren up from his school in Domino every day and passed him off to Ryou at a halfway mark, but Ren had missed having Misa around the house whenever he needed her. Granted...he could get away with much, much more when she wasn't there, but still. He loved her and wanted her around.

"We're sorry about the misunderstanding, Ryou," Misa said, sending a pleading smile up in her godmother's direction. This situation was so embarrassing, she prayed that Ryou wouldn't make it worse.

Ryou waved it off like it was nothing, and her massive hand sent a teeny little gust of wind in their faces. "Oh, no no no, nothing to worry about. I completely understand! This is our first meeting after all." She smiled sweetly at Dain, but then she took on a serious expression and dropped her voice back to that masculine depth just long enough to point at him and say, "but don't do it again."

And with that, she started heading off towards the house. "Come along, then, kids! I've spent hours on this pasta sauce! It's the best I've ever made!"

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Misa had spoken at length about her brother Ren, as well as her old godmother Ryou and their wonderful hearts. She had kept Dain up late into the night on the phone rambling about how delicious her cooking was and how cozy the home was compared to her dorm. In all their time together though, she hadn't once mentioned how large and overbearing her stature was. Given Dain's own size and how much smaller Misa was than he, it seemed an obvious thing to bring up.

Standing there, with his neck craned up to make eye contact, he pondered whether or not this was what he made people feel upon an initial meeting. He tried to imagine the nature of the relationship between the crazy man that had lept out of the window and Ryou. Then he immediately tried to imagine anything else before his eyes burned within their sockets. Whatever the case, Dain prayed he wouldn't be caught alone with her. He had readied himself to meet a gingerly old lady with gray hair and warm cookies. Instead, he got Rambo in a dress with a voice as deep as the sea.

Ren, on the other hand, was everything Dain had imagined him to be. A precocious little runt with a feisty attitude and a face too adorable for his own good. He was the little brother the teen had wished for growing up. Someone scrappy to teach life lessons and preach advice to. But he saw how close the siblings were and knew he'd have his work cut out for him. A girl like Misa wasn't someone nobody kept a protective eye on, she was the type that was hard not to love.

"This is a beautiful place you've got here Ma'am. I really like how uhhh," he remembered the explosion of noise only moments ago,"quaint it is. Dain didn't know what to do with his hands. He put one in his pocket and dried off the palm with the fabric. He was nervous now, as any boyfriend faced with a girlfriend's angry dad would be. But this was worse. Way worse.

"Nobody out here for miles....I'd probably guess." Dain swallowed hard as he followed cautiously, with his heart thumping and his eyes up and forward.

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"This is a beautiful place you've got here Ma'am. I really like how uhhh, quaint it is.

"Why thank you!" Ryou said, covering her mouth to giggle happily. "How sweet. We just had it painted last fall. Wait until you see the inside." She had been a little self-conscious about her home, knowing that Dain would be used to more posh living. This was the first time Misa had EVER brought home a boy, or any friend for that matter. Ryou would have thrown HERSELF out a window before having to live with the thought of embarrassing Misa in front of her first non-werewolf friend.

Quote:

"Nobody out here for miles....I'd probably guess."

"And that's how we like it!" squeaked Ren, who had been eyeing Dain as they headed up. That's right, no one around for miles. No annoying strangers out to steal his big sister. And no Red Hoods out to shoot silver at them. Or humans trying to blow them up like the last metahuman school.

"Ren," said Misa with a small huff of a laugh, "We don't like it that way."

"Oh yes we do," said Ryou. "Keeps the bigots out." Both the bigots who wanted to judge her, and the bigots who wanted to judge Misa and Ren for their race. Like the terrorists that attacked the school, and the Red Hoods that wiped out their pack.

Once close enough to reach the door, Dain might notice that it was significantly bigger than any normal door. Ryou had it adjusted so that she didn't have to squeeze through. All the doorways and archways in the house would be that way, though everything else seemed to be normal.

The first room would be the living room. The entire house was filled with the lovely scent of a home-cooked meal. Spaghetti was on the menu tonight. Spaghetti, made from-scratch garlic bread, and a mix of roasted zucchini and carrots. The floor was a nice hardwood with a large rug by the brown couch and under the matching coffee table. The couch was a bit old, but it was clean and looked to be quite comfortable. On either side of the couch were two huge, shiny gun and artillery cabinets with big childproof locks. The gun laws in Japan were very strict, right down to where they were kept in the home. It seemed Ryou was in line with such requirements...but then again, Dain had no way of seeing *inside* of the cabinets, and that could be anyone's guess.

Ryou had pictures of Ren and Misa all over the walls in typical granny fashion. A lot of them were baby pictures or pictures of them when they were much younger, most of those set out in what seemed to be a woodsy area. Various people Dain wouldn't have recognized would show up with Misa or Ren in the pictures from time to time, though most of them seemed to oblivious to the camera. There was a picture of Misa rolling a ball to an older child in a yard, and in the back ground there was an old woman speaking with a young woman. Another picture showed Misa and about four other children in a pose with their arms around their shoulders beaming at the lens, all of them covered in dirt and grass from what must have been a game they were playing. In the background was an unnaturally huge gray wolf, one that must have stood equal size to Ryou, carrying a squirming white pup by the scruff of its neck.

On a little side table in the corner of the room was a little family portrait. At the center was a young looking couple in their early thirties. The woman had long black hair and pale purple eyes, Misa's mother. She was petite and a little shy looking, dressed in a nice purple blouse and a matching skirt. She smiled warmly at the camera with her lips, not showing her teeth, with a light blush across her cheeks. In her arms was Ren as an infant, a little baby that had to have been only a few weeks old. A younger Misa stood in front of her in a little blue dress, grinning at the camera though her eyes just barely missed it. Beside them stood Misa's father, a thickly built man who looked strong enough to take several men at once. His hair was black too, but cut short and spiky. Unlike his pale wife, his skin was deeply tanned. His eyes were brown, and he wore a red T-shirt with old worn jeans. Ryou was in the picture too, dressed in a silver semi-casual dress, with her huge arm wrapped around Misa's father's waist, pulling him into a reluctant hug. His teeth were grit in frustration, looking like he was caught in mid-snarl.

Above the little portrait was a longer photo on the wall, one displaying over thirty people standing out in front of a huge house out in the woods. A full family photo, it seemed, of the whole pack. Ren hadn't been born yet, as Misa looked to be about four or five in it.

On the table, in front of the smaller portrait, was a white candle on a little saucer. It had been burnt halfway down.

Among the family pictures were various wrestling and MMA championship trophies on shelves, pictures of Ryou competing, awards in frames, and a few framed magazine and newspaper clippings of Ryou being featured as the champion. Back in her glory days~

The kitchen was rather simple. It had hardwood floors and pale blue walls with white cabinets. Their appliances looked a bit outdated, but they still functioned well enough. The ceiling was the intentionally exposed rafters of the house, and various bushels herbs hung drying out from them.

The table had already been set.

"So, Dain," said Ryou as she went to the stove and picked up a big pot of pasta and set it on a potholder on the table. The pot was huge, looking like Ryou had prepared to feed several armies. "Misa tells me you've been studying the martial arts, is that right?"

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
As soon as the colossal door cracked open Dain's nose was hit by a plethora of pleasant smells. He tried to pick out as many as he could but could only focus out the creamy, melted butter and garlic. It made his stomach groan out loud in agony knowing there would be a waiting period that would feel like forever. The corners of his lips moistened as he began salivating in secret and it was a struggle to keep his shirt dry.

He floated through the doorway and into the rooms. It was heavenly to be in such a wonderfully cozy and delightfully scented home. Taking his attention off of the food he'd yet to devour was a challenge, until he caught a glimpse of the endless photos of Misa as a little girl. His eyes shot from one after another and his face lifted into a soft smile,"Awwww!" His voice was high as he looked back to his girlfriend. "You look so unbelievably adorable Misa!" Dain placed his right hand gently atop her head and Ruffles her hair a bit.

The home was everything he had ever wished for as a kid. It had character, a heart that beat pumped life into every wall and a warmth that seeped into his bones. It was all the things his multiple homes had not been and Dain could sense why Misa had become the person she was. Being there in the place she could always call "home" somehow made him feel closer to her.

After they went into the kitchen, Dain no longer held control over the sounds emanating from his gut. It was an overload for his senses and the anticipation for the meal was killing him inside. His concentration had frayed so much so that he almost failed to respond to Ryou's query.

"Uh! Yeah! The arts, martial arts, those are the ones that I study." He couldn't help but eye the pot he assumed held the treasure. Dain swallowed the tongue that kept trying to dart out of his mouth,"I've been learning since I was about ten years old, from a master who's been perfecting his craft since he was younger than that."

His master's dojo was probably the closest thing to a childhood home he had. Simply speaking about him pulled nostalgia from a deep part of his soul. It made him smile when he looked at Ryou, it made him feel peace.

"I saw all those trophies you had out there and figured you must be a master of the arts yourself." He glanced at her two godchildren,"They must have learned quite a bit from you in their time under your tutelage?"

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

"Uh! Yeah! The arts, martial arts, those are the ones that I study. I've been learning since I was about ten years old, from a master who's been perfecting his craft since he was younger than that."

"Goodness, he must be a legend," Ryou said to him, matching his warm nostalgic smile with one of her own. Ryou had learned from a variety of dojos over the course of her life starting in her early teens. She wondered what it must have been like to start one's study that young. It must become a way of life for them. Something so natural they couldn't have possibly understood how to be without it.

Ryou picked up a second pot, this one held the sauce while the previous had held the spegettie, but it was just as huge and it made a thump when she set it down. She opened the massive lid and steam rolled out with the most lovely scent. Ryou herself had a ravenous appetite, and aside from her own portions, she had to worry about feeding two growing wolves. When Misa had informed her that Dain was a boy with a lighting metabolism that ate just as much, if not more than the young werewolf, she had been thrilled. FINALLY! A houseguest that UNDERSTOOD!

Ryou took a ladle and scooped out some noodles and begin piling them onto everyone's plates. Misa and Ren sat patiently without reaching for their food, knowing the rules of the table all too well. Ryou was lenient with most things, but not table manners. Just because she was raising wolves didn't mean they had to act like they were raised BY wolves!

Quote:

"I saw all those trophies you had out there and figured you must be a master of the arts yourself. They must have learned quite a bit from you in their time under your tutelage?"

Ryou blushed and covered her mouth as she giggled shyly. "Well..."

"That's right we did!" Ren shouted, giving Dain a mild glare. Just in case he doubted, Ren had DEFINITELY learned a lot from Ryou. AND HE WAS NOT AFRAID TO USE IT! ESPECIALLY NOT ON HUMAN DIRTBAGS PLOTTING TO STEAL HIS SISTER!

Ryou giggled and gave the pup a dismissive wave. "I've done the best I can with them. Ren just loves it, but Misa has never been all that interested."

Misa shifted uncomfortably in her chair. She knew how much martial arts meant to Dain, and she didn't want him to think that she thought they were boring or that she had anything against them. "That's not entirely true. I liked the Tai Chi stuff you taught me."

"Hm? Oh, that's right. The poses." Ryou nodded towards Dain, expecting him to know what she meant. "She picked those up pretty well. But not for fighting. For the balance and the health benefits and all." Ryou winked at Dain then went about scooping her homemade sauce on the noodle piles. "I did demand that she learn at lease some basic self-defense," Ryou went on, making Misa blush now that she was the center of discussion. "Misa's about the most peaceful predator I've ever met and I just shudder to think of what would happen if someone tried to hurt her."

"She'd just shift and eat them up!" Ren insisted. "Wouldn't you, Onee-san?"

"I most certainly would NOT," Misa said. And she sounded so offended! "You know better than that! It's against the third Tenent! How many times must I..."

"Some people deserve to be eated."

"Eaten. And that may be so, but no Lycan should have to live with the consequences of such an act."

Ren rolled his eyes dramatically and groaned. His sister was such an unreasonable stick-in-the-mud sometimes!

"Recite the tenents," Misa said, her tone firm and unyeilding. This suddenly took priority over all else.

"Why?" Ren whined. "I already know them."

"Obviously not or you wouldn't make such an inappropriate comment."

Ryou giggled and waved Misa off, bending her hand at the wrist up and down as though patting at the air. "Oh, Misa. You're so strict."

"He should be reciting them daily!" Misa snapped. "It's very important!"

Ryou giggled again and gave Dain a look like: 'Oh, how silly, aren't they? Wolf nonsense~'

"Go on," Misa urged, turning her face towards Ren. "One."

Ren growled and blushed a little, embarrassed to have to say those stupid rules in front of company. "Thou shalt not betray thy pack."

"Two."

"Thou shalt not reveal thy true nature."

"And three."

Ren sighed very dramatically and growled again before grumbling the last one. "Thou shalt not partake mortal flesh."

"Of."

"THOU SHALT NOT PARTAKE OF MORTAL FLESH. Happy now?!"

"As a clam. Thank you," Misa said with a nod, relaxing in her chair. She didn't seem to be the slightest bit sheepish or hesistant to scold Ren in front of Dain. She didn't care who was with her or what ideas they'd have. The Tenets were sacred and she would never allow Ren to think that he could disrepect them. Especially not with the "Truebreeds" running around corrupting Lycans, convincing them to just spit on the holy Tenents and go around murdering humans for food. Despicable. Disgusting. Unforgivable. If they ever tried to corrupt Ren, Misa would make damn sure they had a hell of a struggle with it.

"How nice," Ryou said, clasping her hands together and grinning at everyone. She took her seat, bowed her head, and clapped her hands together once. Ren and Misa followed suit, and altogether they said the traditional Japanese table blessing: "Itadakimasu."

Then they began eating. Ryou and Misa ate slowly and daintily despite their large portions, while Ren dug in like a starving bear.

"So tell me, Dain," Ryou said, grinning in his direction. "Are you the only meta in the family?"
Edited by Newlight, Jun 7 2016, 10:51 AM.

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Dain had never seen the side of Misa that had scolded and reprimanded little Ren. She was stern and unwavering in her insistence that he not only recite their rules but encourage Ren he must do everything to live by them as well. It reminded him so much of his older sister. It didn't matter how frustrated or stubborn the boy was, she would set him straight and keep him from wavering. Dain was sure Misa and his sister could get along far too well for his liking.

He was silent during the whole exchange. There was a part of him that wanted to smirk due to Ren's bad attitude towards him, but he didn't. Not because he wanted the kid to come around to his company, but because it seemed like something Misa took with all the seriousness in the world. He could tell it wasn't a joke or something to make light of, these guidelines were the foundation of Misa's day-to-day. Her creed. He made a mental not to try his best to always regard them with the respect she paid them.

After the mood eased up Dain waited for their signal to begin eating. He observed their dining ritual with admiration, his family was a lot more rigid in their time together. Only special occasions warranted saying grace before a meal, usually holidays or things of that nature. For the most part, they sat in silence, discussing business, or the goings on of daily life. This felt like more. This felt like family.

And with food like this, who couldn't enjoy being with family. The meal was absolutely delightful! Warm and welcoming with more flavor in a bite than he'd had in months! A quality home cooked meal was the rarest of treasures to a young man living away from home, usually all he had was frozen pizzas and ramen! The hardest part of the meal was controlling his body. His hands wanted to shovel it all down his gullet, but he had to control himself lest he risk embarrassing both himself and Misa. He ate as politely as he could, keeping in mind the lessons he'd been taught as a younger boy. But he desperately wanted to devour everything on the table.

Luckily, Ryou took his attention away from his struggle, and put it on another. He finished his bite and gulped it down. After taking a napkin and wiping his lips he looked back to her. "Yeah, I am. Nobody else in my family's got any kind of meta-powers whatsoever unfortunately. My brothers and sister are all as normal as can be." He half smiled and shrugged his shoulders,"Luckily enough, I found myself another brother with powers to, so it's alright now."

"I can't really tell if you're a meta, Ryou. It'd appear as if you've got some pretty amazing strength based on all these accolades, or you're just an incredible human who's worked incredibly hard to get where you are." Dain gave a sly grin as he glanced from Misa to Ryou,"Not to mention your inhuman beauty, that's the most unbelievable part."

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ryou giggled and blushed at Dain's compliment. She reached out and tapped Dain's shoulder with the backs of her fingers.

"Oh, Misa, your little boyfriend is such a flirt~"

Misa smirked down at her plate. Ryou could be so easily flattered. Kind of like that crow in the old fable, the one the fox charmed into droping the berries. Or was it grapes? Either way.

"I'm a human," said Ryou, a note of pride in her tone. Not because she thought it was good or bad to be human or nonhuman, but because she knew how impressive it was to be a human of her strength and power. Magic of anime aside, she was quite an amazing individual. And she knew it. "I just worked my rear off. The tried and true way." She gave Dain a little wink.

"It's kind of strange, you know? Now that the whole world knows about nonhumans," she sent a fond smile in Ren and Misa's direction. "It used to be some secret world I was privilaged to be let in on. Now it's front-page news, and no one seems to be happy about it." She shrugged. It was a shame. The world was lucky to know that such amazing individuals existed. But rather than appreciating what they saw, they hated it.

"I'm sure your family would know what I'm talking about."

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
Dain had learned to be careful. Dating Misa came with a fair share of precautions, silent reminders he did his best to keep to himself. She was a girl with the ability to hear and sense subtle movements or sounds that could tell more than any number of words ever could. Of course, Dain was never too sure of the extent at which she could see the unseen but he guessed it was far easier than most. A quick or heavier breath than normal, the scent of a bead of sweat, even the sound of him shifting in his seat could clue her in on his deeper feelings. It wasn't that he wanted to hide things from her, he just knew that she was the caring type and anything that might bother Dain might worry Misa.

There wasn't much mention or conversation about Dain's family, he always did his best to keep it less than minimal. It wasn't a particularly pleasant topic, and even less so was his meta status within his family. He had made most responses short and to the point, doing his best to seem pleasant and normal about them. In the recesses of his mind Dain wondered if Ryou had caught it and was gently reeling him into a trap, or if she was really just curious. Either way, Misa had already told him so much about her own history, how could he not share details of his own.

Dain carefully placed his fork down and wiped his mouth clean with a napkin. "Well, uhmm, I don't know that they'd necessarily consider it a privilege," his voice trailed off as he glanced towards Misa, then back to Ryou again. "They all kinda see it as sorta bothersome." He smirked and gave a methodical shrug,"They've got enough to keep track of without having to worry whether or not I'm out staining the Serlo name."

He wondered how much he should share. Too much might make him seem desperate for attention, too little and he'd seem insecure and secretive. "But their loss is somebody else's gain, so I try not to fret over it much." That was just enough, Dain smirked and went back to the meal that laid before him. His face blissful and seemingly unbothered by the subject.

His front teeth clenched down on the tip of his tongue. The thought of his home, the idea of his family, any reminder of the life he'd left behind was difficult to deal with, but he had no desire to broadcast it as such. There was no need for anyone to have to deal with his personal issues. And besides, this was a time to enjoy. A moment to create some pleasant memories and let the bitter ones slip away.

"So you cook and you're as strong as you are beautiful?! Is there anything you don't excel at Ryou?"

Newlight
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Though Dain didn't glance at Misa for more than a few seconds after mentioning his family's opinion, Misa was certain she could feel his eyes on her. She could empathetic that way, as any good Eir healer would be, anticipating the needs of her mate. Some of those needs being emotional, like when delving into uncomfortable topics.

So Misa smiled softly, reassuringly, though she didn't look in Dain's direction, and reached out to brush her hand against his under the table.

It pained her to know that his family didn't appreciate him the way she did. Dain was such a wonderful person, and he had so much to offer the world. He gave 100% of himself to everything, and that gave him the potential to succeed in wherever he chose. Why didn't the Serlo's see that? What could be a better attribute to their good name? Why wasn't everything great about Dain enough for them? Having grown up in such a close and loving pack, the concept of not being enough for your parents was an unfamiliar and tragic concept. Especially with his race having anything to do with it. With the political atmosphere so tense around the topic of nonhumans, metas like Dain needed the support from their human relatives now more than ever. Why couldn't they stand by him after all the terrorism his kind had faced?

Ryou seemed concerned too, though it was easier for her to understand than it was for Misa. Ryou dealt with a lot of disapproval in her life. But it broke her heart to know that his family was among those humans that did not support nonhumans, especially after all the races had suffered already. She smiled and nodded when Dain said it was their loss. "Indeed," she said. "Just remember that."

Misa, if Dain had a hand resting in his lap, would take it and give it a squeeze. "My gain," she said softly.

Ren made a soft gagging noise.

Ryou laughed rather girlishly at Dain's compliment and question. "I have yet to find something yet," she said. "I'm just one of those naturally talented people. Everything I touch turns to gold~"

Misa chuckled a little and shook her head, a light, endearing smile on her face. Ryou's lack of humility never ceased to amuse her.

Ren, however, stuck his fork in Dain's direction. "That's right! She's best at EVERYTHING. There's like nothing in the whole world she can't do. She can play every sport and every game better than anyone. And she learns things really fast so even if she's like never played before, she can still beat you!"

A typical small child bragging about his mother. A lot of children believe their parents can do everything and conquer the world, as that's how it seems when you're young. But usually the parents react to such bragging with modest embarrassment and adoration. Ryou...however, seemed to take every word the little pup said seriously, her chest swelling with pride as he rambled on.

"So, Dain," Ryou said, ruffling Ren's hair a little bit, "Any plans for after graduation?"

Oh, the dreaded question! But it wouldn't be a proper first meet-the-family without it, now would it?

Zank
Member Avatar
Nowhere Man
[ *  * ]
"I think I can tell where this conversation is going." Dain squeezed carefully on Misa's hand with his own. His nostrils flared and he took a long breath,"You wanna know what my long term goals and intentions concerning Misa right?" The young man's demeanor shifted in confidence and certainty, his own chest swelling with pride.

"Well there's no need to worry, I've got my ducks lined up and in a row. For now, I'm furthering my education within the Behavioral Sciences field. Once I've earned my doctorate there I'm going to open my own physical and mental health clinic to provide assistance to metas and humans alike." It was difficult for him to hide the eagerness within. He hadn't shared much of his professional goals with anyone, let alone his girlfriend's family, but it was necessary to show his level of commitment.

"When I see those new students, or meet people like yourselves, I'm reminded of all the misunderstanding and empathy out there in the world." Dain's sight settled on Misa's little brother. "It wasn't until I met my master that I found someone to help me understand that with great power comes great responsibility." Dain's smile was wider now, as if it couldn't grow any further. "I want to make a place where people who don't understand what metas are can learn more about them. And provide a center where metas can learn more about themselves!" He was rambling now, getting caught up in his own excitement.

"We'll be able to let metas know how their powers work, how they affect them and how they affect the world around them! Show both sides of the arguments multiple perspectives so that way we can form an understanding that despite all our differences, we're all still human on one level or another."

Dain stopped for a moment,"Don't worry though, I've got my hands in all kinds of cookie jars. If there's one thing being a Serlo has taught me, it's to make your money work for you in multiple facets." Only then had he realized he'd been going on solely about his financial and professional preparations.

"Forgive me for being forward and direct but if you can't already tell, I plan on asking for Misa's hand in marriage when she's ready." He'd said it, aloud for all to hear. "Whether or not she'll have me will be her decision, but know that I have no intention to pull her away from her family in any kind of way." He let out a calming sigh,"I just want you to know that Misa is the most important and inspiring person in the world, for me."

The muscles of his chest relaxed and fell flat after what felt like an eternity. It was like letting out the deepest secrets of his life, baring his soul to these happy few. Their acceptance of him or his emotions couldn't take away from the utter relief he felt finally saying all of it out loud. Dain felt free, like the day he'd met Misa.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Japan · Next Topic »
Add Reply