Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
AHS Announcements
Staff Announcement

A Mysterious Message!
Read Yours!

Now Up to the Plate!
Read More!

A new skin has been added in honor of the season! Also, Brackenridge Manor has opened it's doors! The butler has some words of warning for you.

Cordially, Icarus
Main Storyline Information

Current Storyline Thread
Party at Brackenridge

Welcome, you are currently not logged in. Without being logged in you are limited to posting in Contact the Staff and the Advertising forum. You are welcome to read as much as you like, but when you are ready to join, go ahead and read the rules and create an account!

Create an Account!

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Around The World In A Backpacking Tour!; Chibi, and possibly cameos if discussed beforehand.
Topic Started: May 2 2016, 04:53 AM (3,189 Views)
Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
Everyone's Favorite Badass...
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OOC: This is a longstanding trip for Darrel Reggick and Kendra Truing to basically see the world and have antics in it. I don't know 100% of what's gonna happen in it, so there may be some leeway on people poking their heads in at certain times, depending on if they have reason to be in the area where things are happening. Anyone with ideas on what could happen should PM either Chibi or myself before attempting anything. We gotta have synergy on this. Otherwise, just sit back and watch the story unfold...

IC>>>>>

(Flights in general have a certain pattern to them. Everything is tense at the beginning, people having trouble in the boarding due to having trouble finding the gateway or their seat or 'Can I fit this in the overhead?'...and of course the taxi, the wait, and the take-off carries its own feelings of tension. Then, in the middle, it's calmer and generally more pleasant, with only some sporatic difficulties with passengers, and then nothing...until the landing, the waiting, the exiting, the 'I can't find my carry-on!', and of course the clean-up. A Stewardess' life in a nutshell, right there, but this time there was a different sort of feeling. It all started with the arrival of that young couple. Funny feeling, right there. Young man, built like an Olympic something-or-other, platinum-blonde hair, blue eyes...wearing a t-shirt reading "BOSTON PROUD" and a Red Sox cap to complement his jeans and...well...that watch. We'll get back to that. That's where it all started, but first the girl... She had a smaller frame than him, but there was...presence about her. The blonde girl didn't seem too out of place. It was just that she had something... It was the eyes. You don't have time to look into these things very often, but that was the case: They were a shade of violet, and it seemed far too organic to be special contact lenses. Well, you can't fault people for having strange eyes, OR strange watches...that talk.)

"I believe you'll find your seats straight along and to the left, Master Darrel."

(Before she could even give her usual directions, the detached voice of a classy englishman directed the two like it was a talking GPS device. It might've been that. Things might've been alright if they had stayed as that, but the couple in lefthand side of Row 32 had been...well, an oddity, maybe a spectacle. This was a direct flight from Japan to Massachussetts, and therefore long. The two of them amused themselves with the contents of their carry-ons, but they also seemed to...to be watching movies projected holographically from that watch, headphones connected directly to it, even ignoring the in-flight entertainment if they did not wish it. The truly strange thing was when-)

"I beg your pardon, madam, but we could use a couple of pillows, if you please."

(Imagine walking down the aisle and finding a british gentleman, possibly a butler, standing in your path and eloquently requesting your assistance. What can you do? He's so polite, but he's also apparently a hologram himself! At first, they thought he was a real person not suppose to be on the plane, but when someone walked through him and he simply asked the person "Please don't do that.", that changed things. So, you have a technological marvel running on the flight. So what? So, how do you ignore that? How do you deal with that? Ignore it? Hardly. The male steward asked about it, and the young man simply explained that 'Walter' told him how for his own convenience. After a while, it became acceptable, but weird. Fortunately, when they left, they would take it with them, and the plane was coming in for a landing now...)

(Darrel and Kendra were on something...a bit more involved than a vacation. Vacation is just where you relax and have fun and do nothing but personal fulfillment. Well, in a way this was still that, but it was more of a journey. Their lives had been, due to necessity, been stunted in terms of certain levels of enjoyment. Too much stuff happening too quickly, and so they were taking on the world in a manner of their own choosing: A Backpacking Tour of as much and as far as they can or want to go. Their goal: To see and experience as much as they can, to live a kind of life that...actually, a couple of their friends enjoy. You see, before all of this, they'd met a guy whose hobby was traveling. He was this trenchcoated and fedora'd Japanese boy, Hakuro Kuroda, who - because his life up until then had been on one island - decided to branch out as much as possible, and took his girlfriend with him. This was similar in Darrel and Kendra's way, though before they were officially getting started...Darrel had to go home. Boston, Massachussetts, home of history and a Big Dig that didn't amount to anything. Red Sox, Clam Chowder, and Fallout 4. This was home, or would be once they got out of this airport.)

Darrel: Gotta get our stuff before we're in any public area for mom to get us. Security and all that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The trip was long but Kendra didn't mind. They entertained theirselves with watching movies on his his watch and generally whatever had been packed. If the movie wasn't on, she could be found sleeping, reading a fantasy novel or talking to Darrel. The flight didn't bother her. Nor did the looks she recieved.

It wasn't her so much as her violet eyes. They had changed upon coming back from the underworld. It matched her twin's to a certain extent. Kendra thought they were pretty. Other then her eyes, she looked normal. She wore a red tank under her black jacket and black jeans. Her normal black boots were replaced with black sneakers. Because who wants to traverse the world in heels?

"Makes sense. I hope it's easy to find."

Kendra watched the conveyer belt in the luggahe pick up. She had a simple black bag. Thankfully her guitar was in Pixy. It was safer there then on the plane. After retrieving their bags, it was time to meet his mom.

"Where too?"

She could navigate the airport in Tokyo but this one had her confused and she was relying on Darrel to get them out of the mad mess. She wasn't a big fan of the crowds. The people around who's gotten a glimpse of the top of the scar on her chest inquired about it instead of minding her own business. There was no way she was telling them what really happened so a simple heart surgery seemed to suffice.
Edited by Chibi, May 2 2016, 07:58 AM.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Makes sense. I hope it's easy to find."

Darrel: It's easy, just follow the arrows.

(Well, follow the signs, at any rate. There were a number of them overhead that said "Baggage Claim" with gate numbers attached and arrows pointing to 'em. Darrel picked up his own bag - similar to Kendra's, actually, but with a pair of red eyes drawn on 'em - and checked the time. You may notice that there was not a conspicuous-looking long diggery-do case coming out or anything. This is because he left his Di-Glaive back in Japan. That much? Yeah, it would be too conspicuous, for the most part. Not so much for the trip if he BS'd it like the trip TO Japan, but for the entire journey? Hell no! So now, they had their stuff...)

"Where to?"

Darrel: Well now...I see if we have a ride.

(Pulling out his cellphone, he dialed 'Home'. Home was setup to take calls and reroute to a cellphone automatically. Said cellphone was in the possession of a woman, tall with brown hair to her neck, professionally styled. She wore a navy-blue business jacket over a white shirt and matching skirt, nice formal shoes without high heels, and a practiced smile. Annalyn Brooks had married a man of mystery, becoming Annalyn Reggick, but she retained her own life and independence, because 'We can't all be changing the world, large-scale. Some of us have to put food on the table.'. Of course, Anthony did get money, just fine. He had contracts...well, at least until he died. Then, her son had taken on he family business...or so it seemed, since apparently he killed them all, or at least that's what Julia said. Now, she waited for the call, and was not disappointed. On his end, Darrel heard her pick up and...for a moment, she sounded like she couldn't believe it was him.)

Darrel: It's me, it's me. We're about to leave the passenger-only section. Where are you?

Annalyn: I'm outside, in the parking lot. Well, one of them. I think the main entrance is nearest to me.

Darrel: Main entrance? I think we can manage that.

Annalyn: Do you have much with you? You didn't bring that weapon of your father's, did you?

Darrel: No, I think it's safer back there. Walter's looking after it.

(There was a pause, then...)

Annalyn: ...you said Walter was a hologram, a computer program. How does 'he' look after anything?

"With care, madam. It's the least I could do, all things considered."

(That shocked her enough to stare at the phone and make sure it wasn't on conference. It wasn't. The butler had merely tapped the frequency.)

Annalyn: Please tell him never to do that again.

Darrel: Sorry. We'll be out of there soon, mom. I'll call again when we're there.

(He looked around now, and saw that needed to get on a people-mover - metal conveyor for passengers - for a bit. It was refreshing, seeing things in english for once, although he had been given a language package while in Japan that somehow made speaking Japanese easy.)

Darrel: We gotta get on a little subway after this. It gets people across the airport faster, really gets things going.
Edited by Lord Massacre, May 5 2016, 11:13 PM.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
She vaguely paid attention to him speaking to his mom. Mainly it was so once he does, she could refocus her attention on where they were headed instead of the people around her. Everything was completely different then what she was use to.

The metal conveyor belt was nice. One didn't have to get worn out by sprinting across the airport with the help of these. But it was nice to stretch after the long flight. It was definitely a different place then Orlando but she felt relieved that everything was in English.

"The airport has a subway in it?"

Was it really that big? She didn't think Orlando did but then she hadn't been there in a few years. They could have updated and gotten one. Kendra followed Darrel and the signs. It was busy but she managed not to get swept away in the crowd.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"The airport has a subway in it?"

Darrel: Well, not a real subway, like you go underground, but a system like one to get people to and from the terminals.

(Big airports had to think in big ways. You get a major place like this and you need to get people moving. An airport's life and breath is moving people to where they want to go, and this one's an international, for certain. The more efficiently you get them from Point A to Point B, the more successful business you do and the better your returns from future customers. Sadly, security had always made it hell, and that was frankly the fault of people whom frankly Darrel wished the Umbra had done something about, but somehow...he got the feeling they let it go so people in America wouldn't feel too full of themselves. Didn't work, of course, as they'd just gone ape-shit instead. Go figure. Darrel chilled out for a moment by getting up on and lying ON the conveyer's moving handrails. These things were essentially horizontal escalators, so it kind of worked out. They passed by gates and snack ships different kinds. Something you could probably find in all airports along these ways: Starbucks, Auntie Anne's Pretzels, and probably Subway's. He got off the rails and led her to the airport transit, just a short-lived straight line from terminal to central area. It was a quick jaunt, mere seconds from start to finish, and they were out again and heading for the main entrance itself. Darrel turned to Kendra now.)

Darrel: Really, we could've hot-foot it even if we didn't want a taxi. Boston is right next door. Well...right next door to the massive parking lot, but otherwise...it's there.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"That sounds rather useful."

Kendra didn't feel like she was sheltered but in a way she was. Which was why she wanted to go out and see things. It hadn't been possible with the wah she life before AHS and even after she lived in Japan. America was different from there.

"It's really that close? Doesn't it all get congested? "

She followed him as they headed to the main entrance. It has less people but maybe because some where going to other terminals or went to a different place. Either way once they were outside, she could see a bit more of their surroundings.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"It's really that close? Doesn't it all get congested?"

Darrel: Not entirely. There's highway and such, and what it borders is the East Side, not the heart of Boston. The east side is where I lived.

(Outside, it was an immense parking lot, as stated. People were coming and going with regular frequency, vans dropping off or picking up people from the white zone. Further on, past all of this, you could actually see Boston in its early afternoon light. The weather was mostly clear and the sun was shining. It was after a few minutes of taking in the scenery that Darrel received a call on his cellphone, and a new poke on his senses. People were always looking at and looking off of him, of course. He was a platinum-blonde of some decent appearance. This one was firmly on him, and from a distance. The call, of course, was his mother. She said two words which made Darrel laugh, then he hung up.)

Darrel: She said 'Start walking'. I guess it's too crowded here. I know the way.

(He must've. Mutual Awareness doesn't lie. It occasionally agitates him from too many people watching him, but never did it lie. He was, in fact, heading towards a woman who had a pair of binoculars That would be her, alright, being one who knows that simply watching him could draw his attention.)

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"I see."

She was about to see how big Boston was once they got in the car and began moving. He made a quick call that left her smiling when she heard him laugh and then explain why.

"Lead on," she said with a chuckle.

Kendra followed along as they headed in the direction of his mom. For someone who was about to meet her boyfriend's mom, she was rather calm. But then she never did let too many things rattle her.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Lead on,"

(And it's at this point that you want some sort of song to hum as you go, because the parking lot is LONG and Annalyn was not nearby. People who actually have a need to go up into the planes park nearby. People who are expecting people with lots of luggage are nearby. She was expecting two young people, low baggage. There wasn't a need to hunt for a closer space. Besides, they'd been sitting the past X-number of hours. A bit of walking is good for the circulation. She put down the binoculars once they were close enough to actually see her. Kendra would see...largely where Julia's appearance came from. Upon getting within striking distance, Darrel's mother unleashed her attack by hugging him tightly.)

Annalyn: Do you know how worried I was? I could live with Anthony's order, but when you started saying they might not be okay, and your school collapsed and metas became openly attacked... What was I to think? You say it's fine, but my only son is in the worst possible danger all the time!

(This was all alot to take in for Darrel, but it was all very heartwarming for him as well.)

Darrel: I love you too, mom. And I'm sorry... It's over now. Everything's been taken care of.

(Apart from a couple of things...but one he didn't know about and the other was Vex, so...ehhh. She looked Darrel in the eyes now.)

Annalyn: Julia said you killed them... How?

Darrel: With alot of help. It's a long story, and you deserve to hear everything, but first...

(He turned to face the other member of our fateful party...)

Darrel: This is Kendra Truing. I believe Julia may have mentioned her too.

Annalyn: Quite a bit. Welcome to Boston. You ever been stateside at all?

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Kendra had no problem with walking and stretching her legs. However she chuckled softly as Annalyn attacked as soon as they were close enough. She set her bag down as they spoke. It was nice watching them.

But then Darrel introduced her. She smiled and nodded, unsure what to do. But she had a tongue and spoke when spoken to.

"Hey. Thank you. I was born down in Orlando, Florida," she said, her voice soft and polite. "But this is the first time I've really been back since I was sent away for school."

Kendra didn't mention the time Kiyo and her came back but it was because they needed the doorway in the woods. It really didn't count because she didn't see or do anything then.

"Pleasure to meet you."

She really didn't know what else to say so she hooked her thumbs in her back pockets. She had to wonder what Julia has said about her. Hopefully all good things.
Edited by Chibi, May 3 2016, 01:03 AM.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Hey. Thank you. I was born down in Orlando, Florida," she said, her voice soft and polite. "But this is the first time I've really been back since I was sent away for school. Pleasure to meet you."

(Of course, naturally, Kendra was being sized up even as she spoke. This was normal for her, of course, or any mother, really. She just happened to be very good at it. So, certain details were being taken note-of Thank goodness the wound couldn't be seen now. All kinds of questions would arise there. Still might. But anyway, details... Slim build, well-maintained physically, a face often with kind expressions, polite to others, purple eyes- Really? That was strange. They looked nice, but she couldn't help but pick that one up.)

Annalyn: Well, enjoy the weather while it lasts. It does get subject to change without much notice. You did take proper clothing with you, right Darrel?

Darrel: Mom, it's summer.

Annalyn: It still rains, and it won't be 'summer' in other places. I know about your trip. You're taking a coat.

Darrel: I am taking a coat, but I won't needed it as often as you think.

Annalyn: Uh-huh. Your father said the same thing. 'I'll be fine, Anna'. He'd come back from a job with a cold, feeling miserable. Honestly, a die-hard killer knocked over by a head-cold. That's pretty sad.

Darrel: Alright, where's the car?

Annalyn: You're looking at it. I have to drive customers all the time.

(She pointed them to an silver-gray SUV and unlocked the doors remotely, asking them to get in.)

Annalyn: Did they give you two anything to eat at all? I'm guessing not.

Darrel: They don't properly feed you in airplanes anymore. So yeah, we could use a meal.

Annalyn: I'm sure I can work out something in that department.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Nothing more was said about her and Kendra was alright with that. She was rather quiet, more so then at home but it was a new place she didn't know. She was more observant than shy. It seemed like coats were the topic now. She didn't laugh as she listened to mother and son go back and forth but she couldn't help but smile. Did all good parents fuss like that?

But it was time to leave. With their stuff packed in the car, it was time to go get food. They were fed on the uber long flight but it wasn't considered a decent meal by no means. A regular meal would be appreciated.

Kendra knew a good meal would also make her sleepy. Sure she slept on the plane but not near as well as she would have if she had been in bed. Movements and noises kept her awaken so she had dozed when she could. She'd try to stay awake as long as possible before jet lag and the trip caught up with her.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Well, unfortunately that is the case. Much to the annoyance of the children, good parents do fuss like hell. Kendra was being let off easy for now because she had loads of steam to use on Darrel that hadn't had the chance to unload until now. But don't worry! She would get hers soon enough! She had a memory like a super computer. She had been informed that Kendra was his actual girlfriend, not just a good friend. So, off they were, once their bags were put away and they were belted in.)

Darrel: So, how's Julia?

Annalyn: She's at the con.

Darrel: The...? Oh, right.

(Anime Boston. It was one of the big ones, usually held this time of the year. And with that in mind, Darrel's mother threw the first conversational grenade in Kendra's lap. It was time to address those eyes!)

Annalyn: Young lady, you're lucky they didn't take you away with eyes like that. Airport security's been nuts ever since that announcement was made, thinking meta-humans will just blow up a plane with their powers and fly off. My son passes for human, but you've got problems, missy. I expect you got out with barely a look because of all the con-goers they've had.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Kendra was watching the scenery until the hot potato landed in her lap. When addressed she looked a little startled. It was almost like a deer caught in headlights look. Though it turned guarded real fast. It was more of a defense mechanism around adults because of how she had grown up. Her 'guardians' hadn't been the nicest to her and Adara.

"I never thought my eyes as problems," she said. "They used to be normal so all my IDs have my dark brown color recorded."

She was normal looking compared to Adara. And her eyes hard been dark when Julia last saw her. But then she still wasn't sure what her eyes had to do with anything. Did people actually take notice of the color? It was going to take time for Kendra to get use to any sort of parental figure.

"Besides, I'm not completely human."

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Did people notice? Oh, hell yeah. All the time. Purple is an unusual color. That sort of thing may not get as many notices - in the negative sense - as Japan, but people in the US are different like that. People get paranoid, and that meta announcement did not help at all.)

"I never thought my eyes as problems. They used to be normal so all my IDs have my dark brown color recorded."

Annalyn: Why did they change?

(Darrel quickly intercepted this one.)

Darrel: She had an accident. Magic was involved. No other side-effects that we know about.

"Besides, I'm not completely human."

Annalyn: Now, that's the thing that you're not suppose to say. People are afraid right now, Kendra. I'm okay because my family is in the thick of it, but I fear for them. So naturally, I worry for anyone my son takes a fancy to. You don't tell people you're not entirely human, dear. Not unless you're making it sound like a joke. You ever seen X-Men? It might come to that. Your eyes look very nice, but you'll be going across the globe and you will be inspected. I'm just warning you. Things could happen.

(And she was thinking 'Not good things' on that account.)

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Darrel saved her from giving an answer she really didn't have. But then Annalyn went on. Kendra was caught of guard and she couldn't stop the emotions that rolled through her. Nor did she really understand them.

"I don't normally tell people that I'm not human. And other then getting contacts, I really don't know how else to hide them. I get reminded about the color change every so often ," she said. "I've heard of X-Men and seen bits and pieces but I've never seen them all the way through."

Worry for her? Kendra looked slightly confused. She could understand the woman not wanting Darrel in trouble cause of her. But worrying for her safety? Her next words slipped out before she could really stop them.

"Why worry for me?"

If Julia had said a lot about Kendra, it was probably already known that she didn't have any parents or any reliable guardians amd hadn't for most of her life. So maybe her confusion was understandable.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I don't normally tell people that I'm not human. And other then getting contacts, I really don't know how else to hide them. I get reminded about the color change every so often. I've heard of X-Men and seen bits and pieces but I've never seen them all the way through."

Annalyn: Chances are, it won't attract much attention overall, over a dozen different countries with a billion people althroughout. I'm worried about the one that topples the Jenga pile. The lesson to take from X-Men is that if people don't see you asa person for some reason, they will see you as a threat.

Darrel: Yeah, but her eyes?

Annalyn: They don't match her ID. She can't say she was born that way and leave it at that.

"Why worry for me?"

Annalyn: I'm in real-estate, dear. I don't just worry about me and mine, but anything connected to me. If I see a problem at a place, I start to think 'What's the best way to handle this?'. You're associated with my family, Kendra. I have to make sure things work out smoothly. You might just tell people who ask that you did have an accident, and that your eyes were discolored as they are, but just leave out the magic. Just in case anyone's a bit nervous. It could happen.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"Umm.. alright," she said.

Annalyn had a point and Kendra really hadn't thought about. It made her think back on the time she got into fights at her school over Adara. They didn't like Adara and never saw her as a person until Kendra was seen as a threat.

But she had a solution for her change in eye color. An accident would work as long as she didn't mention magic, which she could do. Especially when she was use to being normal up until AHS.

"Thank you... I think."

Kendra couldn't think of a adequate response other then that. It showed in her voice and the way she looked.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Thank you... I think."

Annalyn: I know I'm being overly cautious and overprotective. I earned that right as soon as I became a mother.

(This could be the crux of the matter that Kendra was having a hard time resolving: She didn't have parental fussing in her life, people doing things to make sure she didn't 'Insert Problem Here', not the way her actual parents might have. It'd been alot of her and Adara, and she'd been the one looking after Adara. Now, someone was the actual parent here, and even though it was Darrel's, Kendra probably wasn't use to handling a mom.)

Darrel: Hey, speaking of your work...why aren't you?

Annalyn: Working? Hmm, I wonder. Could it be that my son is coming home in the first time since he left? I took the day off.

Darrel: But...you're on-call every day.

(That received him a glare.)

Annalyn: Except when I don't want to. People can wait a day while I take care of life.

(All throughout this conversation, Annalyn's driving had been casually swift and even a little sneaky getting around town to find their way to a calmer neighborhood. Their neighborhood. They stopped in front of a modest home with a chainlink fence and - here's the kicker - a Mulcahy Security System. Darrel stared at the house for a moment.)

Annalyn: Yeah, I know. I can't say 'I kept your room the way you left it'. Had to move. Financial reasons. All your stuff's in a decent room, though, down the hall from Julia's on the second floor. I take it you'll be with him, Kendra?

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
And Annalyn had every right to be overprotective and overly cautious. Look what her family gone through. But Kendra was no going to get use to a parent over night. She bit back the question that popped in her mind as the conversation changed to Annalyn's job.

Kendra listened to them and vaguely remembered someone saying something similar to what Annalyn did when she was very young but she shook the misty memory away and looked out at the neighborhood. It was nice.

And boom. They were at Darrel's house. It seemed he hadn't been filled in on the move. It still looked nice and quaint. Kendra tore her eyes from the house as she was spoken too.

"Uh.. yes? If it's allowed," Kendra said.

They lived together but she didn't know if his mom was alright with them staying in the same room while under her roof. It was her house, her rules. To be honest Kendra wasn't sure how well she'd sleep without him. She'd gotten so used to sleeping with him.

"I don't want to cause any problems by staying with him."

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Uh.. yes? If it's allowed. I don't want to cause any problems by staying with him."

(That delivered her a glare now.)

Annalyn: The things you two have been through, I don't have the right not to treat you like adults. Just don't cause me any grief while your here and we'll get along fine.

(She opened the gate and walked in. There were a couple of cameras and unfamiliar devices, exterior-wise, but the only reference she made to the security system was that she half-expected a death ray to pop out and shoot someone. Kind of funny, considering that the designer of said system DID put death rays on his house. She unlocked the door and let them both in.)

Darrel: Well, i'm glad it doesn't just shoot people, but what does it do?

Annalyn: Oh, it identifies potential hostiles and keeps them from entering while the security firm gets called.

Darrel: How...does that work when Kendra's never been here.

Annalyn: It's a very complex system. Identifies weapons, threatening body language - all sorts of things.

Darrel: You mean, if I went out there and beat on the door, I'd get the police on me?

Annalyn: Precisely, so don't be hurling any firebolts or whatnot, okay?

Darrel: Hey, I'm an assassin, not a wizard.

(The DnD joke was funny, but it did not protect him from a glare just as she was about to enter the kitchen.)

Annalyn: Darrel Anthony Reggick, you are not an assassin. You killed them off. That line has ended and I would be glad to see it's never reforged.

(Whoa! Counter with a Middle Earth reference! Blown out of the water!)

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Kendra stared back at the glare. She could only nod. Give her grief? While Kendra didn't know what that meant, she also didn't plan on causing problems whike there. Compared to her younger teen years, she had chilled out a lot.

"Alright."

The security system on the house was interesting. And even Kendra wondered how it was supposed to recognize her if she'd never been there. The answer seemed rather simple.

She followed along because she really didn't know where she was supposed to go. She hoped the general layout was easy to learn. They were near the kitchen. The kitchen meant food. She had only caught the tail end of the conversation but she had to agree. Let's not reforge the group. They wanted peaceful lives right?

All of a sudden Kendra's stomach rumbled. She was hungrier then she realized. She placed a hand on her stomach as her cheeks turned pink. Sometimes having her metabolism sucked.

"Sorry about that."

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Clearly, what Mrs. Reggick had going for her was an ability to accept reality, but to also bluntly state terms and boundaries within that acceptance, which was probably how she managed to get along with an assassin... Actually, that had to be a story in of itself, but Darrel had never asked about it. Perhaps it was because he too accepted reality under certain terms. It was just that his terms could involve a pole-arm attack if you crossed them. During the time in which they'd actually entered the kitchen, Kendra's stomach interjected most audibly.)

"Sorry about that."

Annalyn: It's okay, it's alright. Meine Frau und mein Herr, der Tempel der Genüsse. Help yourselves. I'm going to see if anyone DID have some sort of emergency in the interim.

(Meaning that she was going to check messages. She sort of went off to another room with that flourish in a manner that - to Darrel - seemed a bit like Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. Still, a quick check of things suggested that lunch around here could be achieved through several forms of sandwich, a number of packaged snack-types, apples or bananas, and about half a tray of lasagne. Drinks were various sodas, iced tea, grape Crystal Light, and...huh. She actually had Sunny Delight. There was also a note in the fridge on an empty plate that read "I owe you one burger, Love Julia". Further, they could see a slow-cooker with something in it that was labeled "OFF LIMITS". Darrel smelled barbecue in there.)

Darrel: I'm guessing that's dinner. I dunno what we have around for entertainment once we've got what we're eating and...the only tour I can give is one where I re-learn where everything is. But still, welcome to my home.
Edited by Lord Massacre, May 4 2016, 07:03 PM.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"It smells good," Kendra said looking at the crockpot. She hadn't ever cooked with one.

The German words through her for a loop but she understood the meaning. The amount of food they could chose from vast. Kendra was slightly hesitant from choosing food. It was just habit because while growing up she got yelled at for getting something to eat if it wasn't a meal time and the food wasn't something she had bought herself

"You have a nice home. Its very homey. We can eat and then tour. We do have bags we gotta take to your room," she said with a grin.

And she wasn't sure when jetlag would set in. But relaxing sounded nice. Though she was curious to see Boston.

"What type of things are there to do around Boston?"
Edited by Chibi, May 4 2016, 06:07 PM.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Smelled good? Oh yeah, most definitely. That's brisket! Shredded barbecued beef. Eat it as is or - if you're feel like living dangerously - on a bun.)

"You have a nice home. Its very homey. We can eat and then tour. We do have bags we gotta take to your room,"

Darrel: Works for me.

(What defines 'homey'? A place that feels like home? John Lithgow once said "Home is where you hang your hat!". Mind you, he was playing an alien from the 8th Dimension, but the point is that he was stating that home is what you make of it. Darrel's 'home' was new to him. He had to hang his hat in it. But first, he was getting some of that lasagna and Sunny Delight. He wasn't even gonna heat it up!)

"What type of things are there to do around Boston?"

Darrel: What'd you ever do in Japan? There's parks, there's shops, there's sports, there's arcades and games, there's nice views, there's conventions - alot of the stuff you'd see in any major city, but the culture is more centered around here than Japanese. What were you looking for?

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"Nothing in particular. Just different sights that I wouldn't find in Japan or Orlando," she said. "I'd like to see the park at some time."

Parks and nature areas really intrigued her more then man made landmarks. Maybe it was in her blood but she had always migrated towards nature.

She had chosen a simple sandwich and a banana. And iced tea. Once food was gotten it was time to settle down and eat. It was nice to get a good meal into her stomach. The banana was the first thing to be ate once they sat at the table.

"Think we'll feel jetlag?"

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Nothing in particular. Just different sights that I wouldn't find in Japan or Orlando. I'd like to see the park at some time."

Darrel: That can be arranged, on both counts. Plenty of history around here. Well, plenty of it everywhere, but you know what I mean.

(Hey, there was nothing wrong with nature. Fact is, they both missed out on The Big Dig. A shame, really, since it turns out they really cut corners on that project and it didn't amount to as much as it was suppose to. Darrel sat down with Kendra at the table, still working on the lasagna and really not carrying that the Sunny D. didn't exactly go with it. Citrus drinks were great, but not with heavy Italian meals.)

"Think we'll feel jetlag?"

Darrel: We will feel jetlag. Our internal clocks are for shit right now. Mind you, I've had weird hours before, but this will still screw with them.

(He did not seem particularly energetic either, to be honest. Darrel was simply one of those 'power through' people, which explained his father and the whole head-cold thing. He did that too.)

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
She did know what he meant about plenty of history. It made her excited to go around and see things. Of course him spending time with his family was one of the reasons she suggested starting their trip off at Boston.

"I figured the jumps between Pixy and Earth had mine so messed up that it didn't know what was going on," she said. Time moved different in Pixy so when they went it sometimes messed her up.

Speaking of Pixy.

"Shit. I forgot to call Adara," she said and scrambled for her phone. She no sooner got it off airplane mode before it went off with messages. She rang her twin and promptly held the phone from her head.

"Kendra! Are you alive? Are you guys safe?" Came Adara's voice. There had been no 'Hi. How did it go?'. Her twin's launched right into hysterics.

Kendra sighed. "We're fine. We're actually eating at Darrel's but I wanted to let you know we're fine." It was safe to put her phone to her ear. Or so she thought.

"I thought something had happened when you didn't respond after I was sure you'd landed! I was about to go beg Raina to send out people to find you!" Adara sounded truly worried and as if she was crying.

"No. We're fine. Getting out of the airport made me forget. But we're gonna finish eating. Bye sis." Kendra hung up and sighed. "Pregnancy hormones must be making her crazier then normal. Glad Raina gets to deal with her."

Adara had agreed to stay with the Sasaki's until Kiyo was brought back. It was a slow procedure but it was working. They just had to work his spirit out of the underworld. It was a completely different process then when Darrel got her back.

"Almost every message is from her," Kendra browsed through the list without reading any before putting it back and taking a bit of her sandwich. She could respond to messages later.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I figured the jumps between Pixy and Earth had mine so messed up that it didn't know what was going on,"

Darrel: True, but planes do that without magic.

(It was at that point that Kendra remembered that she forgot to call Adara and keep her aware of their status. Well, it must've been the event of the thing, because Darrel hadn't thought of it either. Once she DID call her sister, the conversation lent an ear towards Adara's frantic concern, quite a bit in fact. Kendra believed it was all about the hormones involved, but frankly after she stated thare were alot of messages from her - nearly ALL of them being hers - Darrel thought differently.)

Darrel: It may be biological, or it may be because of the picnic where everything went wrong. We really can't blame her for that, given the circumstances of it all.

(They could just about hear Annalyn in the other room. Looks like she DID find someone with a 'crisis'. After a little while, though, she stepped into the room and took the other half of the lasagna, the half Darrel wasn't eating. He looked up at her, but she just shrugged.)

Annalyn: Hey, Julia took my hamburger and making lasagna's not easy. I deserve it.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"It could also be the combination of them too," she said. "I just don't understand why she just didn't check the link. She would have felt it there and knew I was still alive even if she couldn't feel my emotions or how I was doing."

They were still link even if the link was stretched to thin for them to use. Kendra could still feel the connection even though nothing was there. It wasn't like the time the link was shattered.

Annalyn came back and swiped the lasagna half from Darrel. Kendra chuckled and ate some more of her sandwich. With food in her stomach, she felt more relaxed. Maybe stealing food was a common occurence?

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Stealing was not a common occurrance. It's not like the burger had had a sign on it like the slow-cooker did. Furthermore, Darrel had actually stopped at about half of the lasagna half that he'd been eating. It hadn't been a huge pan. You don't make huge amounts for one adult and one teenager. The Brisket was a case of that just about changing because of their arrival. Darrel finished his drink.)

Darrel: Anyway, she probably just didn't think of it because of everything else. Adara's known for her hyperactivity, right?

Annalyn: Who's Adara?

Darrel: Kendra's sister. She's a pixie.

(...which rather neatly ended the need for her mother to wonder what Kendra was in her not-human aspects. She raised an eyebrow, though.)

Annalyn: As in A Midsummer Night's Dream?

Darrel: I have no idea.

(He had yet to hear any connections to Oberon, Titania, Robin Goodfellow, or any other famous roles. Further, he had not seen any reference to any known human literature that could give them a 'Truth behind the myth' comparison exactly with their kind. They just were, and for the time being that's all there was to it. Anything more was just hearsay and gossip, and Darrel didn't like gossip.)

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"Yea. She is known for that," Kendra agreed.

A Midsummer Nights Dream. It was familiar because she had read it. However she hadn't paid entirely too close attention. Chewing, she thought about it.

"Not exactly. I think more of Tinker Bell from Peter Pan and and all those other pixies. A Midsummer's Dream had fairies in it. They are two completely different things and don't like acknowledging the other," Kendra said. "Elder Birch says there's been a feud for a long time between them."

Kendra may have sucked at human history, but she had found Pixy's history very interesting to her and she had remembered more of it.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Not exactly. I think more of Tinker Bell from Peter Pan and and all those other pixies. A Midsummer's Dream had fairies in it. They are two completely different things and don't like acknowledging the other. Elder Birch says there's been a feud for a long time between them."

Annalyn: Oberon has been called fairy, pixie, and fae. It all depends on who you talk to. It may be different for your family and their people, but it's a little hard to gather an Earthly distinction.

(There were mounds of literature on this, not just from Shakespeare. Of course, nobody invented terms on the spot like Will himself, but it's not to say that there wasn't any effort in the world's writers. Loads of things could be learned, like reading science fiction and then going to the future.)

Annalyn: At any rate, unless Adara's tiny, I can't put it to Peter Pan.

Darrel: Don't we have some hardback editions of that?

Annalyn: Mmm, the Dave Barry ones. Ghost-written by one of your father's friends. Well, ex-friends, I suppose.

Darrel: Ghost-written? Why?

Annalyn: He was using some things about the order in the books. It became obvious when a 'Lord Ombra' showed up, made entirely of shadows.

(Darrel guffawed.)

Darrel: What? Seriously?

Annalyn: You didn't read it?

Darrel: I was into Sword of Truth.

Annalyn: Oh yeah, I remember. You really are a Seeker, aren't you?

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"A seeker? Huh?"

Kendra was confused once before. Maybe she had been enlightened about it once before but at the moment it wasn't ringing and bells. She finished her sandwich and washed it down with tea.

She knew some stuff but she was sure some of the stuff was still lost on her. The sword of truth sounded familiar but maybe it was cause she had come across it in the library or something else.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"A seeker? Huh?"

(Annalyn indicated her head at Kendra, still facing Darrel.)

Annalyn: Tell 'er.

(Teller? Penn Gillette's silent partner? Oh wait, no no no no... Darrel turned to Kendra, and put his hands up in a manner consistant with Explain Mode.)

Darrel: Alright, so... The Sword of Truth novels are a series of fantasy tales in a world different from our own. I think I mentioned 'em here and there, didn't really explain as much. The story largely revolves around a man called Richard Cypher, who has lived in an area that's pretty normal except for a crazy border in the world where the netherworld is intersecting the living world. It basically keeps anyone from crossing. Nobody seems to know what's on the other side until someone - a woman named Kahlan Amnell - came walking through it, someone looking for a wizard called Zedd. Well, Richard knew a wiseman by that name, so he took her to him.

(He reached for his drink and realized it was finished, so he had to get a refill at this point. Once he continued...)

Darrel: Now, Richard had been trained by his father to memorize an important book, able to do so because he had excellent memory retention, but the reason that he could was because he was gifted in magic, and was unaware of it. However, it gave him some of the right to wield a particular sword... The Sword of Truth. Those wielding it are suppose to themselves seek the truth of whatever's going on in the world, whether it be good or bad, and put it to rights.

Annalyn: And now, consider his investigation of the death of my husband, and what lengths he apparently went through to reach that point.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Kendra listened and understood the reference once it was explained to her. It made her smile as the thought back not only to when he searched for answers about his dad but all the adventures they were in. Especially with the last situation after her being killed.

"It definitely describes him."

Sipping some more of her tea, she decided felt good. She had food in her stomach and they were settled for the time being before they moved on to..wherever their first stop was after Boston.

Leaning back in her chair, she crossed her arms and fingered her necklace. It was a habit she did unconsciously from time to time. The movement pulled her shirt down just enough to see the top of the scar hidden beneath her shirt.

"Is the Sword of Truth a good read?"
Edited by Chibi, May 6 2016, 09:28 AM.

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"It definitely describes him."

Darrel: Thank you.

Annalyn: Just as long as you don't create any problems.

Darrel: Yeah...

(Big spoiler alert: Some of the events of a prior novel will inexorably lead to the problems of the next novel, or one down the lines, and it would be due to something Richard did. Vague though that is, that's an extremely important point, and if Darrel put himself in the position to kill a secret army yesterday and brought a girl back from the dead today, what will he do tomorrow?)

"Is the Sword of Truth a good read?"

Darrel: I loved reading it. It was a little hard living it.

(Annalyn had been glancing at the appearance of some of the scar when she caught that and looked at him.)

Annalyn: You what now?

Darrel: Oh boy... That's a long story.

Annalyn; So, you keep telling me. You really need to set aside some time to explain these things, or learn to send some email, or something.

(He facepalmed now.)

Darrel: I know, I know... I just never feel like it's the right time.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
"We don't need any more problems for awhile."

Hopefully none would.come there way. At least of the supernatural variety. She was sure a storm or something would catch them at some point but that could be avoided and wasn't something that was out to kill them.

Kendra was absent mindedly spinning the pearl as she thought about adding that book to the list of books she should read one day.

"Sometimes the best time is the present," she offered. "I'm sure one or two wouldn't hurt for this evening."

Lord Massacre
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"We don't need any more problems for awhile."

Darrel: For a long while.

(For the longest time! Whoa whoa whoa... For the longest time! Errrm...excuse me.)

"Sometimes the best time is the present. I'm sure one or two wouldn't hurt for this evening."

Darrel: Yeah... Living room?

Annalyn: Living room. I'll bring the Dr. Pepper.

(A re-convening in the living room, which was tanly carpeted, nicely TV'd, heated, chair'd and couch'd, and having a picture of an adult male who was... Oh, that was curious. Handsome man, that Anthony Reggick, but while he was clearly the origin of Darrel's blue eyes, he was also brown-haired. Darrel sat on the couch with an offered DP. His mother took to an easy chair. And here...he began to outline the nature of what had happened with the Umbra Ex Scorpio. He started with the investigation as to how his father died, leading to the point where he attempted to conjure up a spirit to find the answers...and got Vex, or rather...Massacre of the Dark Brethren.)

Annalyn: This, to you, sounded like a good plan?

Darrel: Many others give up alot worse than having to put up with his troublesome self. He wasn't hellspawn, he didn't want my soul, and he actually seemed kind of helpful, in an irritating roommate sort of way. It's ironic, because I hate the bastard, but I wouldn't have gotten to that point without him. At least, not for a number of years, maybe.

(So, he continued and told of his tales of St. Lily's, where he had gotten a scholarship offered to improve himself, and how the Umbra seemed to disapprove. They set things in his direction, even attempted to just blatently capture him once, but it really came to a head when they destroyed the academy.)

Annalyn: You told me it was a monster.

Darrel: It WAS a monster. Malkos, the leader, summoned it. It came down out of nowhere and ate Mishima, one of the most powerful psychics in the world. He couldn't do a damn thing and neither could the rest of the school. Anyone who didn't escape died... That was when I decided I had to kill them all.

(Annalyn remained quiet as he described it: His contact with former colleagues and new meta-human friends, the connections to a combination Yakuza-Triad house, and the outline of using their obvious amassment of power and people to draw all of the Umbra into a confrontation. He wanted them all to come for the decisive blow, and then he attacked first! Before they could begin hunting them down, he set Mt. Fuji ablaze and had everyone systematically push in and lash out at anything that was not them at full lethality. And then, he explained how when they had to go into the mountain, they were captured for a time...and that's when it all came out.)

Darrel: Vex...that bastard...grew some kind of offspring of his power inside of me while he was training me, and it manifested when the demon responsible for all our power manifested. They wanted it to possess me, but I was already possessed!

(The Reaver, a monsterous multi-appendaged homage to Deathclaw, taking on the likes of Elwrath, son of Dark Falz! And while this was happening, Vex nonchalantly announced to every onlooker around - Kendra included - "Oh, by the way? I killed his father. Needed someone to follow me and eliminate these fools for turning me down. They could have all been my Brethren race. Oh well...". Annalyn stared.)

Annalyn: Just...just like that? He killed my husband for that? To put you through all of that instead of doing it himself? Why?

Darrel: I don't know... Because he makes people suffer. All that time, he was bragging about how he was a great lord of darkness and destruction, a real badass. I tuned out, because he was trying to annoy me. He was telling the truth, every word, no matter how vague. He spelled out to me how untrustworthy he was by being so blaise' about it. He enjoyed it. I'm sorry... I screwed up.

(There was a pause, then...)

Annalyn: No...no, you didn't. You found the answer, you put down those people, and...you're alive and safe. This monster...is he gone?

Darrel: Vex is gone. Reaver might be in there. He may be part of me, he may be all of me, he may be what I become after I live my life. I dunno.
Edited by Lord Massacre, May 7 2016, 02:56 PM.

Chibi
Member Avatar
~ Chibi ~
Kendra followed them as they reconvened in the living room. She tucked herself into the couch next to him with Dr. Pepper. She wasn't about to go to sleep.

He recounted everything. She was quiet unless needed to speak, which wasn't really until after the destruction of the school. Even as he had gotten into the more recent events, she let them play through her mind. When Vex had revealed her been the one to kill Anthony, it had pissed her off. Even then, the thought made her made. She could only fathom what it made Annalyn feel like.

She reached over and held his hand. Not once had she ever thought he had screwed up. Vex had been entirely annoying from the get go. When he was gone, she felt better.

"Let's hope he took the Reaver with him. If not, we'll deal with it when the time comes," Kendra said.

She meant what she said when she had woken up after he saved her. There wasn't any way she was leaving his side. If the Reaver came back to cause problems then she planned on being there to help him.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The World · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: